Chelos in a bad way

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_pork pies_*

Guest_pork pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

It's a real problem when you find any sort of animal being poorly treated by pet shops. You can't help but want to buy them all to save them from their plight. The trouble is, it just puts money in the pockets of these despicable people, who then go out and buy more. Why can't governments use CITES to put an end to such traders of misery???

#22 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:16 PM

Chelo Update.

The little guy has been in the vets for nearly three weeks now. He's gained weight, has been checked for parasites, impaction, RNS, the lot and has been given the all-clear. Problem is they're still having to force feed him with baby food and now he's getting stronger he's battling with the syringe. They've put food in front of him but he's refusing to eat.

The vet is considering putting an e tube in which will involve anaesthetic and a little incision. They'll run a tube straight into his stomach bypassing his mouth and throat. This seems very drastic to me and I'm considering bringing him home now that he's out the woods. If he's in his home environment and happy it might encourage him to eat.

What worries me is that his is a reaction against the trauma he had being brought into the country and that pet shop. Remember, he has a damaged shell, god knows what caused that. I'm worried he's trying to starve himself to death.

What shall I do?

#23 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:41 PM

Hi once they get strong and battle against the tube they will often respond to hand feeding. Simply putting food in front of him is not enough. Open his mouth and place one end of a leaf in there. They usually eat to the end of the leaf when you have to be ready to poke another in when his mouth opens. I have found that this is only usually necessary for a few days before they start feeding again voluntarily.
Sue

#24 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:41 PM

Hi,

It is great that he is making good progress, i have never been in this position with a tortoise before but i would be inclined to agree with Sue. That trick has worked for me in the past with snakes that have refused to feed.
Will keep my fingers crossed that all goes well

Steve

#25 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:52 PM

Awww he's probably so stressed out at the vets and too scared to eat. Once home in the sun he will want to eat. Do hope it goes well for you both.

Viv

#26 Guest_Inca_*

Guest_Inca_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:19 PM

Hi Chelo's mum,

Hmm. Have they tried him on tortoise faves (not that I would recommend them normally but if he is really refusing) -

1. Peeled seedless grape
2. Bit of strawberry

I had to force-feed my tortoise for about 4 days with a syringe because he wouldn't eat cos he was too cold (not that that is likely out in UAE). I fed him with this: http://www.noahs-cup...no=5&pnum=A2A7O (just powered alfalfa). You could give him a try with a syringe full of it-seemed to get mine to eat.

Get eating soon Chelo,

Inca

#27 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:59 AM

Ah I hope Chelo is better soon, i think maybe she will be more likely to eat when she feels safe back in her own house. My Tefa had a bad start and was so timid (still is a bit) she rarely eats from my hand and will only eat when shes back in her own little house. Good luck with Chelo i`m sure you`ll get there in the end with lots of love given. ;-) ;-)

#28 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:57 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 20-04-06 AT 01:58 PM (GMT)]I'm really sorry to say that Chelo didn't make it in the end. After nearly three weeks at the vets, a course of antibiotics and lots of TLC he started to improve and gain weight. The day he died (Tuesday) he was moving around, alert and eating.

He died so suddenly in my husband's hands :-(

#29 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:02 PM

So sorry to hear about Chelo. At least he ended his days with someone who cared for him and not in a cage in a petshop. At least you know that you did your best. Well done for trying.

Beth x

#30 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:08 PM

I was so sorry to hear about Chelo. You tried so hard for him, and at least he had loving care with you. It just highlights the terrible conditions that he had been kept in before you rescued him. It must be devastating for you after all you have done.

Nina

#31 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:16 PM

sorry to hear of the bad news at leats you gave him a chance aunlike the bad shop or peorson whoi had hime prior

#32 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:39 PM

Thats really sad!! You gave it your best shot and I'm sure he appreciated all the love and attention you gave him!!

#33 Guest_Inca_*

Guest_Inca_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:25 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about Chelo - at least he died where he was loved.

Keep up the campaigning and love to Bobby,

Inca

#34 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:49 PM

So sad to hear about Chelo, he had the best care any torty could have had.

How is Bobby has he settled in ok?

Viv

#35 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2006 - 08:21 AM

Bobby is doing really well, is stomping around and has a very different personality to little Chel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users