- - - - -

Please help

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:10 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-03-06 AT 10:48 AM (GMT)]Today i've just picked some weeds with spikey leafs and little yellow buds,think it might be Groundsel,is this weed ok?love Jill

#2 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:24 AM

hi i wouldnt like to say myself but here is a list of weeds with pics that are safe for torts ...
http://www.tlady.cla...t.htm#plantlist
im sure some 1 else will be able to tell u soon if ur still unsure thanks becky ...
sorry i couldnt be much more help :* :*

#3 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

Hi jill
Any chance of a picture, groundsel does have serated leaves but not spikey it is edible but not all tortoises like it, my indian stars love it but not much reaction from any of my medterraneans except for the odd nibble
Darren

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:10 PM

Have a look on this web site. Can you point out the weed you mean.

http://www.dgsgarden...co.uk/weeds.htm

#5 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:16 PM

Cheers!hun,i've been out and bought him some yellow pansy's,i got six in a tray do i give him one every day or every other day thanks
jillx.sorry for all the questions all the time,but i trying to make this week as nice as i can for him,thanks again jillxx

#6 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:31 PM

its Groundsel please say its ok my heart wont stop pounding!love jill

#7 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:34 PM

Hi darren,he ate a very small amount but i've took it out of his tank now,something i've learnt today ALWAYS check first,jillx

#8 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:48 PM

Hi Jill if its grounsel its fine very edible but not many torts in my experience take to it that readily it has a slightly bitter taste, i no canary breeder swear by it as it contains calcium in quite large amounts
Darren

#9 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-03-06 AT 04:58 PM (GMT)]Thanks darren,i think i'll stick to dandelions he seem to like them and the pansys,his owner thinks im spoiling him,well someone has too..lol thanks again jill,

#10 Guest_tortoise_dude_*

Guest_tortoise_dude_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:04 PM

Grounsell is not good for tortoises its highly toxic and causes irreversible liver damage and should never be fed to torts. Birds are OK with it but not other animals.

#11 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for your advice josh,have you seen slowcoach website?i've just been on http://www.slowcoach...ed/caremed.html and it says its fine? thanks again jill

#12 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

Hi Jill
groundsel is toxic to many mammals but some have a tolerance to the toxic alkoloides such as rabbits and sheep, cattle that graze heavily infested land do get toxic posioning of the liver which often leads to death, birds seem to tolerate any toxins that the plant contain both in the leaves and seeds but i can find no research that says tortoises(reptiles) that might graze it are effected by its toxins but to be on the safe side i would avoid it now as i also will
Darren

#13 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:06 AM

Hi does anyone have a picture of this so we can make sure its avoided?

Thanks Viv

#14 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:03 AM

If you type groundsel into Google and then click on pictures, there are some good ones of it.

Nina

#15 Guest_tortoise_dude_*

Guest_tortoise_dude_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 08:46 AM

Just asked some other tortoise keepers, they agreed with me.
(sue boyle and others from www.groups.yahoo.com/group/tortmad)
i wouldn't feed it to be on the sage side.

#16 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:02 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 11-03-06 AT 11:02 AM (GMT)]Hi Josh,no i won't give him it again,he ate a very small amount but i took it straight off him,im just looking after him,the last thing i want is to hurt the little fella. Thanks again to all Jill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users