- - - - -

Disgusting pet shop

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:57 AM

Look at this poor tort. He's in the same pet shop here in the UAE as the one we found Chelo. Nothing has improved- no food, no water, no heat, no light and kept in a bird cage. Can anyone tell the species?

I've complained about this. I so badly want to buy it and rescue the poor thing but if I do they'll just get more in. It's heartbreaking.

#2 Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*

Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:10 AM

I dont know the species but that is a terrible way to keep a tortoise,id want to buy it too but like you say,they will only get more. What did they say when you complained?is there no governing body you can contact to complain?

Kerry

xxx

#3 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:12 AM

OMG :'(, this is very disturbing, to see a lovely grown tort in a cage like that, its devastating and so cruel, Chelo Mum is there anything you can!!! its sick x(

linzi-lou

1.1.0. hermann tortoises
0.1.0. spur thigh(med)tortoise

#4 Guest_mic263_*

Guest_mic263_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:13 AM

oh poor thing it looks so sad. hows chelo hope its improving.

#5 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:20 AM

poor little fellow, trouble is if you buy it next week there will be another and the week after that another.

All you can do is report the cruelty to the authorites and hope action is taken.

Sounds very cruel, but if nobody buys it and it dies mr pet shop owner will have lost money and see the demand is low for these animals, hopefully will then not replace it.

Something has to be done to stop the trade, if we all go round buying poor ill tortoises we are feeding the industry.

In this tortoise losing his life might save hundreds more !!

Sad but true

Darren

#6 Guest_GW_*

Guest_GW_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:41 AM

Looks like a sahara Tortoies (one of the ones that grow really big) Try a visit to sharjah animal market one day, you'll be shocked. There all kept in a bucket rammed on top of each other with no room to move, wish I could do something about it, Chelo what CITIES person did you talk to ?

#7 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:52 PM

Poor tortoise,
That so terrible, It makes Me feel sick!! Literally :(

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
2.3.2 Hermanns

#8 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

thats so bad seeing things like this makes me so mad
id go in and just take it literaly if mr police man slapped my wrists who cares... and id tell the shop owner that every time i seen 1 in these conditions i would do it again and again id spray the shop windows @ night if nothing was done.. i belive very strongly in animal rights .. do it for the torts i know its not clever but u gotta stand up and fight for there rights they cant...
ps this is just the way i feel and what i would do im not surgesting u do this lol....
just makes me mad to think ppl can treat animals like this ..
id lock the pet shop owner in a small dog cage see how they like it .... :D
sorry to waffle just makes me feel sick and just wish i could do somethink...
luv ya becky xxxxx :*

#9 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

Thats a terrible picture, is there no way you could have a chat with the pet shop owner to help advise a better way of keeping there tortoises they may listen no harm in trying,its a testudo graeca spp mediterranean spurthighed tortoise
Darren

#10 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

I've been in so many times and argued with the staff. They turn their backs and walk away. Animal welfare is practically non existant in this country, pets are viewed as playthings to keep kids amused for a while before they get bored.

Us animal lovers living here are fighting a mindset that is ingrained in the culture. I don't want to tar everyone, there are some people that are educated about animal welfare, but the vast majority...well

BUT it is getting better, slowly the people who care are chipping away and little by little things are changing. One pet shop at a time I guess. I have approached the authorities about this and I hope, after the weekend (islamic here), something will be done about this particular place.

#11 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:46 PM

Well done at least you are doing your best. It just so sad, cant imagine whats going throught that poor torties mind.

Keep up the good work, hope Chelo is getting stronger

Take care Viv

#12 Guest_loopylucy1234567890_*

Guest_loopylucy1234567890_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:00 PM

That is so cruel poor tort :'( Its like the way they keep battery chickens and hundreds of farm animals on slated floors, pigs etc . The worst thing is that its all legal.( keeping farm animals in these conditions) :-( So much animal cruelty.
Lucy :'(

#13 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:56 PM

excellent i hope something gets done, please let us know.

darren

#14 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:45 AM

I will do.

Gareth, I've sent you a PM

#15 Guest_GW_*

Guest_GW_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:25 AM

Hi C,

Got it cheers, let me know how you get on.

#16 Guest_Inca_*

Guest_Inca_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:29 AM

Hi Chelos' mum,

Poor tortoise :( - I was thinking about him last night. Do you think you might be able to at least get them to put some water in for him?. He looks really dehydrated. And if they agree, smuggle in a lettuce leaf for him?. I don't like to think of him suffering in this way (I know he has suffered enough, just like Chelo).

Inca

#17 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:12 PM

Hi Inca,

It's no coincidence that there's a security guard that hangs around outside the shop (it's in a shopping mall). Nobody in the shop speaks english and walks away when you start to complain or sound agitated.

The law is on our side though, its just a case of making sure its enforced and keeping the pressure up.

The lettuce leaf idea is very tempting, however, I don't think I'd be able to walk out that shop again without rescuing (buying) him.

#18 Guest_Inca_*

Guest_Inca_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:07 PM

Hi Chelos mum,

I don't think I would be able to just leave him with a lettuce leaf either - keep up the campaining in UAE and love to Chelo to get better soon,

Inca

#19 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:27 PM

Guys,

I went by the shop to check on the tort this afternoon. There was an arab family and the two kids were prodding and poking the poor tort and the mother was trying to bargain with the owner to knock the price down.

They were going to buy him and I hate to make judgements but the locals don't know how to look after torts. So I butted in, offered the original price and got him.

I know I'm going to get blasted but he was dying! I can't stand and watch a tortoise die.

In future, I'm going to check on this shop every few days. As soon as they get more tortoises in I will report it before the tortoises get sick. Its not like the UK here, the inspectors don't rush out straight away. AND I PROMISE I WON'T BUY ANYMORE!!

Anyway, here's Bobby happy to be eating at last. He's also had very big drink of water

#20 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:31 PM

Forgot to mention. When Chelo gets from the vet I will keep them far apart! Chelo will be indoors on a tortoise table when he gets back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users