- - - - -

18 Torts Out Of Hibernation...Phew

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

Hi guys, I have been really busy these last couple of days, waking up 17 adults and a 5 year old, from a 16 week hibernation. it was a little stressful to say the least!!! Of coarse they all have to be warmed up, bathed, and coaxed into drinking some water, food will follow shortly, although a couple took a very small amount. Some of my rescue torts are getting quite old, so it is a nerve racking time, and my oldest male had sleep in one eye and a blocked nostril! (that was fun!)...I took photos of all 18 (carapace and plastron) and in case your woundering about the lightbulb!!! in the pics, that was so you can gauge the size of my torts (I couldnt find a tennis ball!!!)...I am not going to post all at once, but Dan and Darren, it would be great if you could give some valued feed back as to what regions etc...T.T.

#2 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:53 AM

they are great looking tortoises, god some of them look really old. How are they getting on are they eating yet?

#3 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:26 PM

Lovely Tortoises T.T, I bet your pleased about them coming out of hibernation ok, ;)

Yours
Calamity Jane :*
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises :D
2.3.2 Hermanns

#4 Guest_heaven leigh_*

Guest_heaven leigh_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:00 PM

aww there really cute :-)

#5 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:05 PM

Thanks heaven leigh, cute in a mature sort of way!...T.T.

#6 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:03 PM

Cheers Calamity, yes I am pleased. Because some of them are getting on a bit!!! it is a bit worrying when you wake them up...T.T.

#7 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:00 PM

Hi Sarah, 4, 5, and 6 are quite old, all of these North Africans are rescue/rehomed. I spent today (well most of it) setting up large plastic tubs with a spot light to give them another chance for a bath/drink, I would say about 75% of them drank freely (especially the males?!) a few have eaten, but in my opinion, water is vital for them at this stage...T.T.

#8 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

They are all North African T.T. 1,3,4 and 6 are from Northern Morocco, Western Algeria region. 5 is Algerian, but not whitei. It's been named lamberti, but I don't think that will stick. 2 with the small size and the color skin, she looks T. graeca soussensis, could be wrong about that though. Does she have spurs?
Dan

#9 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:24 PM

Hi Dan, thanks for the info on my North Africans, No.2 does have spurs (as do all the others) and her skin is very orange like in colour!...Now here is another couple of Torts, there is a terrible story with these 2 rescues "Phil and Lill" are their names, they were attacked by a big dog, Phil lost part of his claw, both had puncture wounds that were infested with maggots, their shells were chewed upon, and they were close to death (especially Phil, who is very large for a male!) As you can see Lill also has a carapace deformity...T.T.

#10 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

Awwww T.T Poor torts eh? That must have been really awfull for them Going through all that traumer and suffering they must have been terrified.But at least they have made a full recovery, They are so lucky to have a Daddy like you lol,. Nice pictures ;)

Yours
www.tortoises.piczo.com
2.3.2 Hermanns

#11 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:34 PM

Hi Calamity, thanks, Phil had to have fresh bandages every morning for 6 weeks, because I wanted him to have the benefits of the sun (you cant beat the sun for healing) but with any wound, if not covered, it would get infested with maggots within days. I cant take all the credit, my wife does all the nursing!!!...T.T.

#12 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:07 PM

They look good now T.T. The male is Algerian and the female in Moroccan.
Dan

#13 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:36 PM

Awwww, Good on your wife too then, Its lovely to hear a nice ending to a story and it makes you feel real proud. Keep up the good work. ;)

Yours
www.tortoises.piczo.com
2.3.2 Hermanns

#14 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

Hi Dan, are you absolutely sure about Phil and Lill, I have had a lot of different views on both these torts???...T.T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users