- - - - -

Spur-Thigh Furculachelys whitei

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sassybee_*

Guest_sassybee_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

Someone said this may be the old type tortoise i am interested in. does anyone have any pictures of this type for me to look at please

regards

sarah (also blonde!);)

#2 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:39 PM

I just googled it, and there are quite a few articles (and a couple of pictures if you click on 'images'.

Nina

#3 Guest_sassybee_*

Guest_sassybee_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:43 PM

great thank you

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:44 PM

Thease tortoises are very rare and you will be lucky to get one.

#5 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:37 PM

There are quite a few owned by keepers. There has been some articles in the TT magazine about them. They tend to be much larger than the normal graeca graeca's, with ivory coloured spurs. They also have a particular splayed pattern on their top scutes.

#6 Guest_MichaelDevonUK_*

Guest_MichaelDevonUK_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:27 PM

Hi there i have a few good images of this tortoise will send you some pics.

I have x1 Adult female.

Mike.

#7 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:27 PM

Hi Amy, excuse the ignorance but is that a magazine on Tortoises, if so how often is it published and is it easy to get oh and how much is it?
Thanks Viv

#8 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

Hi heres a preserved speciemen of furculachelys whitei
Vee the magazine Amy is on about is the tortoise trust quartely mag you get when you join the tt

#9 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

Thanks Darren, and WOW is that your preserved torty??

Viv

#10 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

Hi Vee
No not at all it one from a museum thats on lone to the zoo in the education department, i did have a female whitei but shewas rehomed to a keeper that had others of her kind they are very uncommon as are most north african tortoises, another fact they are closely related to the tiny tunsian tortoise "f, nabulensis" as well as being the largest of all the meds some females can reach a length of 280mm +
Darren

#11 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:30 AM

If you join the tortoisetrust, you get a three monthly magazine about all types of tortoises and turtles.

#12 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

They are quite a large tortoise, and someone correct me if i am wrong but, they do not hibernate, so if you get one make sure you have a large area for over wintering !!

#13 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:43 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 17-03-06 AT 10:44 AM (GMT)]Have to correct you on that one Darren, my girls have been down since November and still fast asleep, I have 2, the biggest one weighing over 5000 grams and both are of a good age, the bigger one I would say is about 70/80 years old, despite her size she is a lovely gegntle animal, the smaller one not so nice, very aggressive and a bully
Had a job finding a photo of her, as due to a PC crash I lost most of my photo's, found this photo of her on another group so hope it turns out ok.
Will take some more when she wakes up
Arnie

#14 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:04 AM

Well looks like i am talking out of me ARSE again !! - LOL

I would of laid money on me being right on that one !

Never Mind
Darren

#15 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:25 PM

Hi Darren
Don't worry about it can't always be right here is another whitei

#16 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:42 PM

It makes me want to weep because I'm dead sure we had one of these lovely beasties years ago when we were kids. It went to a tortoise sanctuary in the end because it was forever escaping and mum couldn't keep track on it. I expect it was imported and often wonder what happened to it..could still be alive I guess.

Matt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users