- - - - -

hi all

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

Has anyone here tryed freezing wild weeds in the summer for winter use or would the weeds lose to much goodness.all so is there another name for timothy hay and where is the best place to buy it.take care jeff

#2 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:56 PM

Hi Jeff,
I have heard of some people that freeze the weeds, But they tend to get a bit soggy and wet on defrosting.
Don't know about the Timothy hay soz!!

Yours
Calamity Jane :*
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises :D
2.3.2 Hermanns

#3 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

Hiya Jeff you can get Timothy hay from pets at home, that is where i get mine from.

Have you seen this http://carolinapetsu..._supplement.htm

#4 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

HI Sarah thanks for the link,i will speak soon.take care jeff

#5 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:47 AM

I'd recommend the grassland tortoise supplement. I've been using it for a month or two now, and Boris seems to like it. And it goes a long way for one tort. Have you tried it, BlondeSarah?

Nina

#6 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

Hi CJ thank for that,hows your hermanns doing.take care jeff

#7 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:16 PM

Hi Jeff,
My hermanns are doing really fine thanks,
They are so cute, they are all different in there own way and some tend to sleep more while others are always on the go, One loves to sleep in the soil in the cool end, while the others all burrow down under the hemp, which is under the basking lamp, and one is always up till late rummaging around until I switch the lights out.
The other day I was sat watching them and for the first time I saw one in the water and she put her head right under the water and you could see her gulping the water having a really long drink, she look so cute with a little wet head. They are just amazing little creatures and I just Love them to bits. ;)

Yours
Calamity Jane :*
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises :D
2.3.2 Hermanns

#8 Guest_MichaelDevonUK_*

Guest_MichaelDevonUK_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:24 PM

Jeff,
think you would be better drying the Weeds and feeding dry like hay in the winter.

Basically go make some hay this hay still retains good nutritional values.

Mike

Timothy is a species of grass (Graminiea) as far as i know!

#9 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:47 PM

Hi Mike thanks for that mate,i will try making hay then.take care jeff

#10 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:49 PM

Hi CJ they are lovely little souls and i love them too.take care jeff

#11 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:25 PM

Jeff, I froze some dandelions about 3 weeks ago. After reading this I just got a couple out, they defrosted really quick and it was the consistancy of cooked cabbage, still smells ok. They say frozen veg is as good as fresh and retains all the goodness if its frozen straight away. It would be ok for days you cant get fresh, just a bit mushy!!
Hope this helps Viv

#12 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:31 PM

By no means an expert on this, but i am sure cooks recomend blanching fresh veg before you freeze them, that way they retain all their nutrients. So using the same logic i cant see why it would not work on the garden weeds.

Steve

#13 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:41 PM

HI steve thanks for that, so you think blanching weeds before they are freezed is the way to store weeds.must try that to see if it works,thanks again jeff

#14 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:03 PM

Hi Jeff,

Did a bit of a search on the net today, to find out about the blanching thing. Well what i found was that you blanche veg to fuse in the taste as freezing can damage the flavour. Not sure if this helps any, will be interesting to see if the torts could do a taste test on blanched then frozen and just frozen.

Steve

#15 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:36 PM

HI Veebee thank you for your findings,you see i was just thinking of a way to store weeds for winter months thats all.thanks again jeff

#16 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:49 PM

Yes Jeff thats why I had a go at freezing them now in readiness for next winter. I'll have a go at blancing them think the dandelions might turn to soup tho. I think the sturdier weeds like bittercress and chick weed may fair better, I'll try that next!!

Viv

#17 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:46 AM

A lady who was on this list a few years ago came up with a method of freezing dandelions for use over winter in a useable way so they didn't turn to mush. Basically you chop the leaves really small and put them in a polythene bag. Next add a sprinkling of limestone flour and shake the bag so that all the leaves get a good coating. The limestone flour keeps the leaves relatively dry so they don't go mushy. Then put the bag in the freezer. The way to use it is if weeds are scarce and you have to use selected salad stuff you sprinkle the salad stuff with some of the frozen leaves. No need to thaw first as they are such small bits they will thaw in a couple of minutes anyway. This way you supplement the salad leaves with the goodness of the dandelion and the added calcium all in one go. I've never tried it but it may be worth a go if you are planning on storing for next winter. I would wait until the end of the summer before doing it however because the longer anything is frozen the less likely it is to retain its nutritional value and will be less useable.

Matt.

#18 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:18 AM

Thats a really good idea, i might have a go at that, although id need to fill the freezer to keep my lot going. Thanks for that Matt

#19 Guest_pork pies_*

Guest_pork pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:02 PM

I don't know if it would be of any use, but it is worth bearing in mind that many frozen leaf that we eat, such as Spinach, is blanched before being fast frozen.
You might want to give it a try, and report back. I might have a go myself.
Drop the weeds into fast boiling water and them remove straight away, dry on some kitchen paper, put into bag and freeze with control set to fast freeze.
I don't know what, if any, effect this would have on the vitamins.

#20 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:40 PM

I got 3 large bunches of roses a few days back and just plonked lots of them in the freezer (on fast freeze). I`ve just thawed one to see what its like and its fine fresh as anything. That included the stalks and leaves aswell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users