upper respiratory infection question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_awnyerneas_*

Guest_awnyerneas_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

Hi,

I have a year-old leopard tortoise with an upper respiratory infection. I have antibiotics that I'm trying to give him. Do the antibiotics generally get rid of the infection? I'm wondering what else to do. I recently bought him from a pet store, I've only had him two days! I don't want my other two tortoises to become infected.

Thanks,
mariam

#2 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

What are you using to treat him? Is he with your other tortoises?

#3 Guest_awnyerneas_*

Guest_awnyerneas_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

He's in the same room, but in a different cage. His antibiotic is called SMZ-TMP Suspension (that's what the bottle says) and it's pink. He's supposed to take 10 cc a day. I tried putting it in his food, but he's not eating today. I was thinking of trying some squash or apple sauce.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
mariam

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:18 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-03-06 AT 05:22 PM (GMT)]Thats good that he is in a different enclosure, however i am sure about the medication, but i am sure some one will be along to help you as i use Baytril for my tortoises and drop some on their noses.

#5 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:23 PM

Can i just ask whay you mean by cage?

#6 Guest_awnyerneas_*

Guest_awnyerneas_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

Turtle table type set up.

#7 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hi
Sorry to here your tort has RNS , if you have only had it two days you need to give the anti-biotics time to take affect it usually take 7 days before the syptems subiside , what temps is the animal kept at and what substrate are you useing
Darren

#8 Guest_awnyerneas_*

Guest_awnyerneas_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hey,
we are using sand/soil substrate and the it is kept around 80-90 with a basking spot around 95. Thanks alot for all the help guys. Was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on getting the tort to take the meds?

#9 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

Not sure what that drug is your using so sorry no ideas except on food,i used sand soil for my leopards and no end of upper repirtory infection so i changed to aubious hemp bedding and it cleared up great

#10 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:42 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-03-06 AT 08:02 PM (GMT)]Have you tried giving it on a bit of tomato? It cannot do any harm trying

#11 Guest_awnyerneas_*

Guest_awnyerneas_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

I would like to try the hemp but I can't find it here in the states. I will try the tomato. Thanks again.

#12 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:09 PM

Sorry didn't no you were from the states i hear over there people use Aspen its very similar in texture to hemp one of are american members uses it eygptiandan he may be able to help you out if you pm him
Darren

#13 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:57 PM

Hi Mariam
I get my finely shredded Aspen at Walmart. You might have to check out a few to find it though. Only one near me ever has it. They also make it in a small wood chip. That would be okay if you can't find the shredded. You can also try petshops (going to be more expensive) or feed stores.
I'm not sure what your giving either as I always use Baytril. Could you call and ask the vet exactly what it is? While your giving any medication tortoises tend to not want to eat. If your giving the medicine orally your going to need to replenish the good bacteria in his gut afterward. You can get NutriBAC df from www.beanfarm.com
Just sprinkle it on his food.

#14 Guest_awnyerneas_*

Guest_awnyerneas_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for your advice. I'll look into using the finely shredded Aspen. I'm planning on calling the vet tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users