- - - - -

Tortys introduction

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AKILLE_*

Guest_AKILLE_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:48 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-03-06 AT 08:15 AM (GMT)]Hi there!

I've been reading this forum for a while now but haven't posted yet. I've been waiting for Torty to wake up so I could take his pic for you to see. Torty's been in the family for about 10 years now - my brother in law found him and me and my husband 'adopted' him about 4 years ago. He's a very happy tort, well looked after and has the total run of the garden - he can't escape, I've made sure of that. I think he's some kind of spur-thighed tortoise and by the condition of his shell I think he's quite old, but I'd welcome your thoughts on type and age.

Ange :-)

#2 Guest_AKILLE_*

Guest_AKILLE_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:22 AM

sorry about the size of the photo - I've tried to reduce it and resubmit it but it's still massive - any hints on how to upload?

Ange

#3 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:11 AM

hi and welcome ..
i dont have a clue on type or age not long joined myself ..
he looks lovly.. gr8 pic ..
im sure some 1 who can tell u what you would like to know will be along soon to help u out sorry i couldnt be much help..
thanks becky xxxxx :* :* :*

#4 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:15 AM

What a big tortoise you have lol.(sorry i`ve got a weird sense of humour)
I`m quite new aswell so cant really say but he looks very nice anyway. Alex.:+

#5 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:08 PM

HiYa welcome to the forum,
Your tortoise looks very nice Not sure of which species but i'm sure someone eles will be along to help you shortly ;)

Yours
Calamity Jane :*
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises :D
2.3.2 Hermanns

#6 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-03-06 AT 03:56 PM (GMT)]I am also rubbish at the whole age and species thing, but there are many on here who can help. Welcome to the Forum

1.0.2 Hermanns

#7 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:54 PM

Your tortoise is a graeca graeca.

#8 Guest_AKILLE_*

Guest_AKILLE_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 04:01 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-03-06 AT 04:02 PM (GMT)]Thanks for that?! Do you want to make a guess at the age?

Ange

#9 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:08 PM

Hi Ange
If you could post some more pics rear end ,underneath and fore limbs we can id the tortoise better, i think you have a algerian spur thighed tortoise furcuchelys whitei these tortoises where imported in huge numbers in the late 50's early 60's most unfortunately died but there are a few still about , because of its smooth apperance it was no doubt an adult animal when collected at least 20yrs but possibly older so add that to the time of importation it will give you a rough idea of its age, more pics please
Darren

#10 Guest_AKILLE_*

Guest_AKILLE_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

Hi Darren - thanks for your reply - I can't believe how knowledgeable everyone is on here! I've just been downstairs and done a little photo shoot with him - he wasn't impressed - he was snuggled up and didn't really want to pose!

Ange

#11 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:09 PM

Hi Ange
Amy is right testudo graeca graeca morrocan
Darren

#12 Guest_AKILLE_*

Guest_AKILLE_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:14 PM

Thanks Darren - any idea why my pics come out so big?

#13 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

Hiya your tortoise is lovely. If I were you i would send a copy of these pictures to Andy Highfield, he has travelled the world for many years researching tortoises.

This is his email address tortoisetrust@aol.com

#14 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:39 PM

Hi Ange
I don't no much about posting pics sorry, but i do agree with sarah for a deffinate id please email your pictures to Andy highfield he will give you a 100% id
Darren

#15 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:03 AM

Hi Ange what a beautiful tortoise lovely irredecent colours, the photos are so good considering how close they are, mine go all blurred if I get within 3 foot of the torty!!!You could frame those for your wall!!

Viv

#16 Guest_AKILLE_*

Guest_AKILLE_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:45 PM

Hi there

I took your advice and emailed Andy Highfield and he agrees that Torty is a graeca graeca from Monaco and reckons he's about 50 years old!! Aaaah, my little sweetie is getting on a bit!!

Ange

#17 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-03-06 AT 11:07 PM (GMT)]Thanks for letting us now Andy highfield nows his stuff exellent always best to get an expert opinion good one Amy too
Darren

#18 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

Gad you emailed him. He may be about 50 years old but he has only lived less than half of his life.

#19 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

Wow 50 Year old Nice one!! ;)

Yours
Calamity Jane :*
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises :D
2.3.2 Hermanns

0 user(s) are reading this topic