- - - - -

Hi

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_simo_*

Guest_simo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:00 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-03-06 AT 12:01 PM (GMT)]Just want to introduce myself, my names Steve. I keep 3 horsfields right now heard alot about this site. Good things. Look forward to lots of discussions.

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:04 PM

Hi Steve
And welcome to the forum , what age horsfields do you have
Darren

#3 Guest_simo_*

Guest_simo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:06 PM

Hi Darren.
Ive got 1 2002 and 2 2003s. Do you keep them aswell?
Steve

#4 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

Hi Steve
Yeah got a breeding pair and several hatchlings at the moment mine are ouite old no fixed age but originly wild caught animals had them 5 yrs plus now and bred them successfully for the last three years
Darren

#5 Guest_simo_*

Guest_simo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:16 PM

Thats great, there is no way i could ever do that. I think you have to have real comittment to breed successfully. Is it your job. Have you got a shop or do you keep all your hatchlings. I see what you mean by this being a friendly forum, i cant keep up with the replies. I look forward to using it often.

#6 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hi Steve
No shop just a breeder , like to give them the chance to breed think its a good thing keep up a captive population stops people buying wild caught animals captive bred are far better yours aren't old enough to breed successfully yet but once you have been on here a while i'm sure you to will be tempted to captive breed
Darren

#7 Guest_simo_*

Guest_simo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:30 PM

Dont know about that. They like tearing strips off each other (not literally) i wouldnt trust them together. My mate bought them from a shop so i assume they are wild caught. I love all animals and have been interested in tortoises for years so when he said he was getting rid of them i done a bit of research and took them off his hands. They are getting really active lately. You must have a house full of them if you keep having babies. I think all animals should be able to breed but i wouldnt have a clue. I havent hibernated mine yet but i think i will give it a go next year. I need to do a bit of swotting up first. Steve.

#8 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:44 PM

Steve
Horsfields are none for there aggressive behaviour especially male/male ratio they are best kept seperate if they are at loggerheads all the time as injuries are quite common in a captive enviroment ,
But aggression towards females and is neccessary to stimulate her to ovulate , of course only supervised visits to the female should be done 1 hour every few weeks is usually ok to produce fertility,i'm lucky in that mine are very compatable and live together quite happily maybe in the future you will be more confident to attempt breeding hope so its very rewarding experience.
Yes i do have a houseful but hatchlings are rehomed to tortoise enthusiasts.
Darren

#9 Guest_simo_*

Guest_simo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:51 PM

Well that will explain them fighting. I have been reading information on forums about them but i havent really bothered about their breeding and hibernation behaviour. I do keep them seperate as i`m at work alot of the time. You must be a professional at all this tortoise knowledge to be able to breed. I`m off this week so i thought id do a bit of researching. I cant get over how friendly you have been. Can i log on and off when i waiting for a reply will i have to give my password again etc.

#10 Guest_mummychubby_*

Guest_mummychubby_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:18 AM

I've got 2 horsefields which I think are both girls and they live in a greenhouse surrounded by a walled in garden. The larger one gets a bit aggressive towards the smaller one at the moment, this seems to happen for a short time every year. I don't know how old they are as they were rescued from somebody who brought them back from a holiday somewhere in their pocket and then didn't know what to do with them. They hibernate themselves in the ground and are meant to be inside the greenhouse which seems fine but each year one of them seems to go outside and I can't find them and at the end of the winter they are quite ill with skin infections. I have nursed them both back to health and now they are both fighting fit and eating like a horse! Ahy hints about the agressive behaviour?

#11 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:06 PM

HiYa Steve welcome to the forum,
Well yes you have come to the right place we are all very freindly and you will get some great advice here.
How long have you had your tortoises for? What are their names?

Yours
Calamity Jane :*
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises :D
2.3.2 Hermanns

#12 Guest_simo_*

Guest_simo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

Hi Calamity Jane.
I`ve had them for over a year now. They were my mates typical lad who just got them and then got bored. I seem to have the set up right from reading these forums they are kept seperate as ive got two males and one female and i had murder with them. I dont want to breed them. Steve

#13 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:57 PM

hi steve welcome flower, looking foward to seeing some piccys ;)

linzi-lou

1.1.0. hermann tortoises
0.1.0. spur thigh(med)tortoise

#14 Guest_simo_*

Guest_simo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:02 PM

Thanks linzi-lou. I cant get over how nice people are being its brill. I should have joined earlier, i have got a few pictures but havent got a scanner to scan them in the computer. I think i will have to sort myself out if i`m to keep up with everyone. I might have to get a digital camera i thinks.

#15 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:06 PM

we are all lovely and very very helpfull on here, its superb, ok about the pics hun, its something for us all to look forward too, take care :D

linzi-lou

1.1.0. hermanns
0.1.2. spur thighs(ibera)

#16 Guest_simo_*

Guest_simo_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:09 PM

Defenitly!
I will have to log off now as ive got jobs to do but will be back on tonight or tomorrow and hope to speak to you all then.
Steve.

#17 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:10 PM

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum - you'll get lots of good advice here. If you haven't found it already, you ought to go to
http://www.russiantortoise.org/
It's a brilliant site and will tell you all you want to know about Horsfields. They also have a forum that is helpful
http://groups.yahoo....ussianTortoise/

Nina

#18 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:49 PM

welcome to the forum m8
hope to here all about ur torts
luv becky xxxxxxx

#19 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:41 PM

Hi steve welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your input.
Regards
Peter

1.0.2 Hermanns

#20 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:48 PM

Hi Steve. I`m quite new to tortoise keeping but everyone here has made me feel very welcome so if you have any questions they will help you out. Alex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users