- - - - -

Weight gain.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:16 AM

Just curious as i saw the other post called `weight drop`. Does the weight gain each month depend on the age/size of your tortoise. Mine is 72gs and has put on 14gs in 5 months. She eats alot and seems happy and very active, should i be aiming for a certain gain or should i just let nature take over. I weigh every week and it has steadilly evenly increased each month. Should i expect a higher weight gain in summer as my plan is to keep her outside as much as possible and she`ll have all day access to weeds. Any information at all would be great. Just curious as she seems `A Ok`.
Alex;-)

#2 Guest_vale46_1_*

Guest_vale46_1_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:19 AM

Hi,

sounds like he is gaining weight fine, As long as he is getting the correct diet and some exercise you should get a nice steady growth pattern. Once outside keep in mind that he may well get alot more exercise so his weight may not increase as much. Its difficult to give a definative answer on weight as each tort will be different. But the correct diet and exposure to UV is the way to go. Keep an eye on his shell formation as that will indicate if he is growing to fast. Have a look at the tortoise trust web site there are some great articles on there with regard to feeding and growth.

steve

#3 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:25 AM

Hello Alex
14 grams in 5 months is quite a good gain weight keep it up.
Arnie

#4 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:37 AM

Thanks, lovely jubly. I had a feeling all is well but just wasnt sure if i was starving her or over feeding. She eats for about 15 mins(not eating, gorging really)and i give a weed mix everyday. I have been looking at her shell very closely and her colour has gone lighter and the condition is going lovely now as she was from a pet shop and the shell was a bit dull looking for want of a better word. I didnt realise how active the little beggers are, she ran the equivalent to a marathon yesterday. I`m knackered chasing after her. LOL. But i wouldnt have it any other way. Alex.;) ;-)

#5 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:02 PM

I'm a bit worried about Chelos weight now!

He's still at the vets, weighs 100gms and put on another 2gms in 3 days! They're still force feeding him, do you think they're feeding him too much if he's gaining this much or is it normal?

#6 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:11 PM

I dont know about these things but 2gs in as many days sounds alot. Maybe tell them to bath her everyday as i believe their toiletry things(couldnt think of a better word) is very heavy.

#7 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:15 PM

PS::
could someone post a picture of a horsfields growth rings please as i`m paranoid that Tefa is going to pyramid as her new growth seems a bit raised and not flat. Is this normal. (And i can hear all you men out their tutting saying, typical paranoid woman. LOL) Alex.

#8 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:41 PM

Horsfields are renowned for growing too fast - it's because they eat so little in the wild. I have just tried to attach a pic of one with normal growth lines but my computer won't let me - big probs with it at the moment :( If you have large bands of light colour it is possible she is growing too fast and growth will then not be smooth and she would have a more domes shape than the normal flatter horsfield. Do you have pictures of her then we can have a look?
Sue

#9 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:50 PM

Hiya here is a picture of my female horsfields shell

#10 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:07 PM

HI Sarah nice torts, grown on well take care. jeff

#11 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:30 PM

Thanks jeff hopefully i will be getting eggs off her soon.

#12 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:43 PM

Sarah What lovely shells they have, They are lovely and smooth, This is how they should be a Nice slow growth for a smooth shell.
Well done they are lovely!!

Yours
Calamity Jane :*
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises :D
2.3.2 Hermanns

#13 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:46 PM

Thanks Joanne.

#14 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:59 PM

Wow sarah shes looking good not many captive grown horsfields can be proud of such a smooth shell
Darren

#15 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for lovely pics sarah. Sueb theres pictures of tefa on a post called `tefa my horsfield` done a few days ago by terry-josh for me. If you scroll down a bit you`ll see it. Well her shell is the same as blondesarahs thanks goodness but she is so small it looks more bumpy if you know what i mean. I`m taking her to piglets next week for his advice. She does does look the same as sarahs though thinking about it, i thought they are meant to be completely flat. I just dont know, i think after piglets checked her it will put my mind at rest. I`m a terrible worrier. Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.
Alex.;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users