- - - - -

Chaco Tortoises

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:20 PM

Can anyone tell me about the requirements of Chaco tortoises (Geochelone Chilensis) such as diet, housing, maximum size etc.
Thanks
Peter

1.0.2 Hermanns

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:52 PM

HiPete
Heres a care sheet i found why you so curious very rear in the uk and ddifficult to cater for
Darren
http://www.anapsid.org/chaco2.html

#3 Guest_rileytortoises_*

Guest_rileytortoises_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:14 AM

hello peter,

i have a group of 3 chaco tortoises made up of 1male and 2 females. these tortoises are very very rare in england and as far as i no i have three and someone else i no has 4 and i dont think many if anyone else has them.
i have found them easy to look after. they are great. they are related to red and yellowfoots but are very diffrent in size and care.
they grow to about the same size as an hermanns when they are adults.they are a deep brown in colour.
i keep my trio in a 4x5 foot tortoise table. i use hemp on the floor which is about 3ins deep as they love to dig down for the night. they have to be kept very dry much like leopards. they dont do very well if you keep them in dampness. they like it dry and warm. they are very much like leopards care wise.

i feed my chaco on weeds and alfa hay. they love hay and this make a large part of their diet. they get fruit as a treat now and again but not alot as it can upset their bowels.

i have found these tortoises easy to look after and i hope one day more people will keep them in england as they a such a nice tortoise.

if you what to no anything else then let me no

thanks
Rileytortoises

#4 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:08 AM

They sound really interesting. Can you post some pics of them?

Nina

#5 Guest_simo_*

Guest_simo_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:20 PM

I would like to see some pics aswell.
Steve

#6 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the information darren and rileytortoises.
I recently came across them in a book and thought they looked like an interesting species and so decided to do some research

1.0.2 Hermanns

#7 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:02 PM

Hi,

Found this on http://www.livefoods...o.uk/classified

Chaco Tortoises ( Geochelone Chilensis ) 1.1 adult pair very rare 4,000 the pair REDUCED 3,500

Chaco Tortoises ( Geochelone Chilensis ) 2 unsexed c/b 2005 1,000 the pair REDUCED 750

Cheers

#8 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:27 AM

Hi Peter,
Here's a picture of one of my males

#9 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:42 AM

He's really nice dan how old is he?

1.0.2 Hermanns

#10 Guest_veebee_*

Guest_veebee_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:12 PM

He's real handsome Dan, how many have you got of these?

Thanks for showing him

Viv

#11 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:35 PM

Hi Dan
Thanks for the picture didn't no you had chaco's hope you breed them which i'm sure you will if you haven't already
Darren

#12 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:12 PM

I have 3 males right now. My female passed away 2 years ago. So I'm looking for a female right now. The male in the picture is 15 years old. My other 2 males were bought as adults and are probably 35 and over 50. I've had them for 17 years.

#13 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:36 PM

Dan are they difficult to find in the states,could look in getting a female
Darren

#14 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

Darren it's difficult to find sexable females as they are real hard to sex until they are 5 inches.
Dan

#15 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:29 PM

hello peter,

i have a group of 3 chaco tortoises made up of 1male and 2 females. these tortoises are very very rare in england and as far as i no i have three and someone else i no has 4 and i dont think many if anyone else has them.
i have found them easy to look after. they are great. they are related to red and yellowfoots but are very diffrent in size and care.
they grow to about the same size as an hermanns when they are adults.they are a deep brown in colour.
i keep my trio in a 4x5 foot tortoise table. i use hemp on the floor which is about 3ins deep as they love to dig down for the night. they have to be kept very dry much like leopards. they dont do very well if you keep them in dampness. they like it dry and warm. they are very much like leopards care wise.

i feed my chaco on weeds and alfa hay. they love hay and this make a large part of their diet. they get fruit as a treat now and again but not alot as it can upset their bowels.

i have found these tortoises easy to look after and i hope one day more people will keep them in england as they a such a nice tortoise.

if you what to no anything else then let me no

thanks
Rileytortoises

Hi luke how are they doing mine have been at it so fingers crosed the babies are also doing well good to see that others have them shame only have males and sorry to hear that your female died have you ever managed to breed them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users