- - - - -

Ibera

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Andy1_*

Guest_Andy1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-03-06 AT 00:05 AM (GMT)] Finally worked how to post a pic,, had to download a pic resizer first.

Anyhow i hope the pics can act as a lessen learned in how NOT house your Spur-thigh's . Tell me what was the cause of the atrocious damage to the female.............. yes yours truly in the first pic..

#2 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:17 PM

Can't see picture

1.0.2 Hermanns

#3 Guest_Andy1_*

Guest_Andy1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:18 PM

Yea i know ,, cant seem to get right,, apologies everyone

#4 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2006 - 11:59 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-03-06 AT 00:09 AM (GMT)]I can see it now nice tortoise shame about the shell damage

1.0.2 Hermanns

#5 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:07 AM

Awww What a shame poor tortoise. It is really lovely though,

#6 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:33 AM

Hi Andy,
Nice iberas. That looks like typical shell rot from constant ramming by the male. Always a good lesson to learn, keep the sexes seperate. Only put them together for breeding.
Dan

#7 Guest_Andy1_*

Guest_Andy1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:35 AM

Dan

Your 100% correct .

Will tell you more later when i have time,, now going to collect 2 adult female hermanns to join my group.

Andy

#8 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:44 AM

Hi Andy
Great pic's shame about the shell damage seen this condition may times from animals handed in that have had access to each on a permantent basis , but more so in female hermans that have been homed with male ibera
Darren

#9 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:18 AM

What a lovely tortoise andy, If you dont mind me asking what tortoises do you have?

#10 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:26 AM

Yes dispite the shell damage she still looks a lovely little thing. :7

Love Alex XX

#11 Guest_Andy1_*

Guest_Andy1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:39 PM

Hi all

Both Dan And Darren are correct in the cause of this damage,

I came by this pair at the end of last summer when i was offered an adult pair of hermanns . Along with these was the pair of Ibera's which were offered to me to rehome ,

When i went to see them the female Hermanns was in with the female Ibera , The fem ibera was ramming the fem hermanns just like she would of been by the male Ibera. On talking to the gentleman in his retirement it was found that the male and female ibera had spent the majority of 40 years together..

Anyway to cut to the point i took all 4 home and duly seperated them all. The female hermanns laid 4 eggs 2 weeks later(i saw her digging but didnt find the eggs till 2 weeks after). The Damage to the Ibera was shown to a vet who recommend exposeing the wounds to clean with tamodine,,which was done ,but in truth there was no open wounds everything was dry. She has an overgrown beak and all their claws are on the long side as they were kept purely on grass.

So she will now have regular tamodine wash's to prevent any infection from debris etc getting behind the outer layer of shell.

Darren/Dan

In your experience what does the future hold for her carapace.

Blondesarah

No i dont mind you asking , as of today i have a group of ;

2male and 3 female indian stars 1 pair i hope to be breeding later this year ...if not then next ..male is 1200g and female is 1100g
1 pair of Ibera's pictured
3.3 Adult hermanns (2males i rehomed with no papers )
1.1 6 year old hermanns ( slovienans and perfectley healthy)
1.1 4 year old hermanns ( slovienans and perfectley healthy)and up for sale on the for sale page...( selling to finance a young adult star ive just bought)

Regards Andy

#12 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:59 AM

Sounds Like you have a Great collection there Andy Nice one!! ;)Yours
CJ
:P
www.tortoises.piczo.com
My Tortoises
2.3.2 Hermann's

#13 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:48 PM

Hi Andy
Her shell looks like it's healing great, but it will always look like that. The keratin will get thicker and a little smoother, but not much. There won't ever be any more ridges, except on new growth.
She'll do just fine though.
Dan

#14 Guest_Andy1_*

Guest_Andy1_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-03-06 AT 07:22 PM (GMT)] Thanks Dan

Any pics about to show how she might end up looking?

Also how about putting a male to her for breeding? do you think she would able to cope with it ?

Regards Andy

#15 Guest_seven_*

Guest_seven_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:31 PM

She looks great and really happy.

My Tortoise's
3.10.4 Hermann
28.10.4 Hermann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users