• Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:58 PM

Thankyou sarah,did u need her to be walking she was just standing still.lol :7

#22 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

Hi Jill.
Yes i`ve had her a couple of hours, terry-josh7 is currently sorting my bathtime pictures out for me to post. I wont go on but shes beautiful and i`m so happy. So i think we`ve both had a lovely day, i`m happy for you aswell your tortoise is very very pretty and i know you`ll give her a great life.

Love Alex XX

#23 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:07 PM

Looking forward to seeing your pics..im going to text my friend and tell her nevels a girl..lol :7

#24 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:09 PM

Ah thats lovely, like a couple of school kids aren`t we, lol.

Love Alex XX

#25 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

Hi Jill
Deff female heres a pic of my female Ellie laying in here table top she looks very much like Nevel
Darren

#26 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:29 PM

Guess what Jill, my new baby is one of Ellies babies from piglet. There`ll be pics up later.

Love Alex XX

#27 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:40 PM

OOOO piglet Ellise looks fab,well done with the babies too great job! :7

#28 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

Here is a picture of my females.

#29 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:13 PM

AWWW sarah they just look like nevel,i've just been putting nevel in the sink,but im going to put him in the bath tonight..lol :7

#30 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

Hi there
Nevel is lucky not to have much pyramiding, but if you look at the side profile you will see that the front end of the shell appears higher than the rear. The spine is clearly depressed as in early onset MBD. Do give loads and loads of calcium carbonate from now on to improve bone strength. When he walks does he walk on tippy toes or low to the ground?
Sue

#31 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-03-06 AT 08:38 PM (GMT)]Hi Sue,he seems to walk low to the ground,i've just got the lime stone at the mo but i'll get the other soon,i noticed his shell looked higher at the front

#32 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:43 PM

Hi Jill
I would say he is severely calcium deficient especially if not carrying his shell high. He needs supplements and as higha uvb lamp as you can provide. The combined uvb/heat lamp would be best but if not and you already have a uvb strip light then make sure it is as near to the tortoise as possible to maximise the intake. If the uvb light is more than 6 months old then bin it and replace with a new one. Uvb diminishes in the light after this time even when still apparently working. This is very important. In summer months he must be outdoors where he will get even more uvb from the suns rays.
Hope this helps
Sue

#33 Guest_mic263_*

Guest_mic263_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:15 AM

hi sue
i have a combined uvb/heat lamp already but need another for my new tortoise when it comes what is best lamp is best in your opinion and where is the best place to buy one, thanks

#34 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:29 AM

Hi - I use www.aquatics-online.co.uk They are reasonably priced and come with free p+p and give excellent after sales service too. Go for one of their 100 watt mercury vapours for indoors. Later in the year for outdoors go for a straight 150 watt bulb on a thermostat (not uv) for their covered area as more uvb will be gained from their exposure to the sun than any lamp.Also use any surplus limestone to cover their floor area as it is soon leeched into the soil as an important mineral for their surrounding and weed areas.
Hope this helps.

#35 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:24 AM

Hi Sarah,

I have a Reptisun 10, which says that it lasts a year and can be up to 20 inches from the tort. Do you know if this is true? I had ReptiGlo 5.0 before and changed it after six months, but I was hoping the ReptiSun 10 will last longer (I keep it about 10" high).

Nina

#36 Guest_jill_ramma_*

Guest_jill_ramma_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:27 AM

Hi sue.thankyou for all your advice,nevel has never had a uvb only 60watt bulb,im going to get him one as soon as i can .thanks again Jill :7

#37 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

Great pictures everyone They are all sooo Cute!! ;)

#38 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:55 AM

Never used the reptisun 10 - is it full spectrum uvb? I prefer the mercury vapour bulbs myself. The colour difference is instantly noticeable showing how much more light is produced and activity is so much better too. Babies shells harden much quicker when using these lamps so won't ever go back to tubes.
Sue

#39 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:28 AM

I totally agree sue i would never go back either , when i change to mercury vapour bulbs the difference was amazing
Darren

#40 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:32 PM

I guess I just like the flexibility I have with a different UVB source from my light/heat source. The ReptiSun 10 is a full spectrum bulb and compares favourably with the ReptiSun 5:
ReptiSun 5: 33% UVA, 6% UVB
ReptiSun 10: 15% UVA, 10% UVB

It came out consistently either first or second in the tests on fluorescent bulbs carried out by the UVGuide.co.uk people. I also use a reflector on it, as their tests show that reflectors double the UVB reaching the tort.

Nina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users