- - - - -

A NEW ADDITION

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:24 AM

Good grief Riley you have a lot of tortoises. Where are you getting your adults from - just curious? I keep russians too (4 illegal sezures from Heathrow) but more would be too much for my large garden due to the amount of tunnelling space they need. I can dig so much out for them but there comes a time when I have to draw the line LOL
Sue

#22 Guest_rileytortoises_*

Guest_rileytortoises_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:41 PM

Good grief Riley you have a lot of tortoises. Where are you getting your adults from - just curious? I keep russians too (4 illegal sezures from Heathrow) but more would be too much for my large garden due to the amount of tunnelling space they need. I can dig so much out for them but there comes a time when I have to draw the line LOL
Sue

hello sue,

the adults are coming from my friend in leeds, he is giving up breeding so i have got them from him.
i have a large garden that they all go in. they are slit in to 3 groups they have a large green house in each pen and when its winter i have them in table top pens in groups of 4. i have about 60 tortoises in total but i am selling some as i am downsizeing my collection. you should see the food and electric bills lol its a lot

thanks luke

#23 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:30 AM

Well, Alex, as I said to BlondeSarah when she got her latest Russian, 'Nina' is an old Russian name (I think Khruschev's wife was called Nina). Sarah, what did you name your RT in the end?

Nina
P.S. I'm obviously determined to populate the world with torts that bear my name.

#24 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:41 AM

Hi Nina, I think Nina is a great name and if i knew it was a girl i would take great pleasure to call it after you, do you know of a similar but neutral sex name. My hubby wants to call it a russian name as well, he wants smirnoff, well i`ll have to think about that one. I dont want to call it Nina and then find out in 5 years its a boy, lol. Its just had a bath now and weed and pooed again so i`m made up. LOL. (yes what did you call yours sarah? is it one of piglets babies?)

Love Alex XX

#25 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:14 PM

Hiya lepinsky, i did call my horsfield nina.

#26 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:09 PM

Hi Alex,

Well, I've got a similar problem with names, as I'm pretty sure that my Boris is a girl (sure wish I'd given him a neutral name). So, in the search for a neutral Russian name, I did a bit of detective work on the internet and the Russian word for 'tortoise' is 'chepenaxa'. When the word is written, the first letter looks like an upside down 'h' (so it looks like 'yepenaxa' (if you can imagine that the 'y' is an upside down 'h'. Then I found out that the upside down 'h' is pronounced like 'ch'. So you'd pronounce it 'chepenaxa'.
But having said all that, it's not the most beautiful name (and actually I don't know how the other letters are pronounced - they just looked more like English). Back to square one, I guess.

Nina

#27 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:42 PM

How great are you, i`ve typed in `russian names`and lots of sites came up. I`ve got a good one for your Boris, you could call her Mika, Boris, ..... (.....being your second name) that way shes still got Boris in there. Just an idea, thought it would suit Boris as its short and sweet(similar to Boris being a short word, its not changing that much). It has a lovely meaning aswell, `Gods Child`. Well just an idea. Nina means `little girl` and the russian version is `Nina` or `Ninochka`.
Anyway just throwing ideas at you, i think we`ll have to put our heads together as i think this way i`ll get the perfect name for my little `un, as you know names are important because they`ll probably out live us so its got to last along time. Are you going to keep the name Boris or change it, its a tough one as you get used to the name dont you. I think Boris is a cute name and if you decide you want to change it you could keep it as a middle name. So when she`s a naughty girl you can tell her off using her full title, lol. :7 :7 :7 :7

Love Alex XX

#28 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:33 PM

Aww, that's great, Alex, thanks. I really like the name Mika, and she could still have Boris in her name. Of course I need to be sure that he/she is a girl. On the Russian Tortoise forum they said that Russians often look like females until they are 5 or 6, and then their tail suddenly grows and they take on more of the characteristics of a male. Of course I don't know how old Boris is, so that's a problem to start with. I was told he was between 3 and 4 years old last June, but I think he might be younger. I guess I'll stick with Boris for a while but I'll definitely keep Mika in reserve.

Nina

#29 Guest_AW1971_*

Guest_AW1971_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:37 PM

Lovely, yes it might be too early to tell. I am wracking my brians trying to think of a name.

Love Alex XX

#30 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

awwwwwwww alex the tort is sooooooo cute, thats probably one of the torts me and my son saw at darrens, made us laugh when my son said," they look like keyrings" lol wish you all well ;-)

linzi-lou

1.1.0. hermanns
0.1.2. spur thighs(ibera)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users