red foots

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_milly278_*

Guest_milly278_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 03:59 PM

hi
could anyone tell me what is the best subtrate to use with red oots? i have been told play bark. just wanted a second a opinion.
many thanks

#2 Guest_Lowe_*

Guest_Lowe_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:01 PM

Play bark is ideal and we use it with all our Reds. It holds the moisture in and so keep the ground humidity nice and high. It's nice and cheap too!

#3 Guest_milly278_*

Guest_milly278_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

thanks for that lowe.

#4 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:16 PM

Hi Milly
What age reds do you have, young animals can be kept on a small bark chip substrate repti bark is great or even beech chips but adult animals need a deeper subsrate incase eggs are laid , at least a foot of top soil with 2 inches of play bark on the top.
let us no more then we can help out better
Darren

#5 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:22 PM

hi my reds are about 18months i keep mine on 2 inch sand bottom layer 2/3 inch steralised top soil and repti bark on top so if they fancy a dig the can .. also helps with moister to create humidity that red foots need .. hope this helps but as darren says all depends on age of ur red really ..
take care becks xxxxxxx
:* :* :* :*

#6 Guest_milly278_*

Guest_milly278_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:26 PM

thanks becks x

#7 Guest_milly278_*

Guest_milly278_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

thanks for that Darren. have't got any reds yet but going to get there new house ready over the next week or so.

my tortoises:
1.0.3 leopards

#8 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:38 PM

hi hun no worrys darren is top man if u have any questions about reds hes helped me out loads ..
take care have to show us some pics when u get them hun
luv becks xxxxxxxxx :* :*

#9 Guest_milly278_*

Guest_milly278_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

yeah will do! xx

#10 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

As Lowe has said we keep our adult reds on play bark as it is very cheap you can get a huge bag from B&Q for 5. As for the baby reds we keep them on a layer of play sand can soil and on the top beech chippings.

#11 Guest_milly278_*

Guest_milly278_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

thanks sarah x

#12 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:32 PM

Hi,

I use 5 inch of sterilised soil with a 2 inch topping of hemp. I keep an area clear with slate and put the plate of food on there.

Regards

Mike

#13 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 06:36 PM

Hiya Mike i havnt used hemp for my red foots, does it hold the moisture ok?

#14 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-03-06 AT 08:37 PM (GMT)]Hi Sarah,

Not sure to be quite honest! I do not have a humidity gauge as I deem it of little importance.

I have read loads on Reds and Elongated as I suppose you have, but there range in the wild (Especially Elongated) is so vast that they all do not live in soaking wet conditions as the books and some people would advocate, in fact some areas they live in are arid.

My reds as you know came from a very very dry open box in a flat with no substrate or water, this was obviously not correct.

I keep all my torts in the same condition with a 5-inch soil and 2 inch hemp top, I pour a 2-lt. bottle of warm water on the substrate and tortoise twice a week. As well as this I have a large water bowl (Lasagne ceramic dish) near the heat source.

The Reds have now bred since I have had them so I believe I must have done some thing right!

How's Mango's feeding coming along?

Cheers

Mike

#15 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

Thanks Mike. Its chutney that isnt eating but i gave him some drugs tonight to combat his worms in his bladder so we will see in 3 weeks time if he has improved. Thanks for thinking of him.

#16 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

Hi Sarah,

What have you given him and let's hope they do the trick! I knew it was food name!

I think I could do with some drugs.... He he

It might stop me biting the table and foaming at the mouth...

Mike

#17 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:44 PM

lol mike Darren (piglet) has very kindly got me the drugs. I have to give him 2ml of the stuff for 3 days, i have to hover around him when he eats and push the syringe in his mouth.

#18 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

Hi sarah,

Oh, Well its a labour of love.

Not connected to this thread but hows the blind baby red doing? Does he have any sight yet or is there any hope he will have sight one day?

Cheers

Mike

#19 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:51 PM

There is one hope for one side as there is a tiny eye socket, Darren has had a look and said there is a small eye, but im unsure if he can see out of it or if he can open the socket. He isnt gaining much weight, i have to make a weed soup and put him it in and let him drink away. He will eat some fruit and love mushrooms which are really no good for him, but im just glad he is eating a bit.

#20 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:00 PM

Hi Sarah,

No one can fault your dedication honey. Let's hope he gains some sight.

Cheers

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users