- - - - -

micro chiping tortoise to young

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:44 PM

HI guys ive received this photo of a young tortoise that has been micro chiped,as you can see from the photo the chip seems to be working its way out of the tortoise.may i just say please do not chip your tortoise untill its of a reasonable size,Defra say you should chip your tortoise at 100m but as you can see by the photos, this size is far to small to lay a berdon of a micro chip.so i post this pics to make poeple aware of the damage chiping tortoise to small can cause,so please note you only have to chip if you intend to breed your tortoise or sell it.so if you intend to breed your tortoise then you dont need to chip them untill they become adults.so please think before you chip.

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

Hi jeff
i agree its so unnecessary to chip at such a young age (size) unless already stated what you said , as can be seen the chip has worked its way out as the tort has grown thank god it travelled out and not in to a vital organ which could of resulted in the tortoises death hope hes ok and no infection has set in
Darren

#3 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:25 PM

o my god who microchiped it why is the chip coming out from that area as it should be in a compleatly different place in the rear right leg it should be up further near the pit god that is awfull poor tortoise hope people learn from this good to see you have put the pictures on here

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

Oh thats horrible Jeff, i think its bad of DEFRA to put on the artical 10's chip your tortoise when they reach 100mm.

#5 Guest_SueB_*

Guest_SueB_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

This is why I supply breeding records with all my babies so that people can come back to me if they decide to breed from the tortoises at a later date. The chip is not necessary unless you wish to carry on the registration and that in itself is a farce, so they are not needed until adulthood, unless of course you wish to sellyour tortoise :( Microchips do not have to be put in a specific place, in fact many reputable reptile vets now are choosing to use the tail area (not my vet I hasten to add) There can be problems wherever it is inserted and if cheap chips are used then they are more likely to migrate anyway wherever placed. My own vet uses specially coated chips to lessen the risk of migration.
Sue

#6 Guest_Andy1_*

Guest_Andy1_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:18 PM

I think that there is also a probability that although it is illegal that unqualified people could be inserting these into imported tortoises before sale,, i have no proof but with one of the major importers also selling m/chips then you have to wonder who is doing it.

I purchased a pair just over chipping size and they had been chipped (at the shop) by the vet i use and trust. The shop had bought the chips in and had not registered them with the reunification side ,but they had with defra for the A10 .. so i had to get it done... how many people have chipped tortoises with no m/chip certificates...unaware/ignorant that if their tortoise is lost or stolen then it cant be traced.

Totally agree that the A10 is not clear enough and many tortoises are chipped without need.

Andy

#7 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:41 PM

hi there all, well i hope new and old keeper learn a lesson from the photos i post.And as for defra rules i think they are wrong saying to micro chiping tortoise at 100m plastron length.this is what can happen when you go by the rules set by defra,some tortoise remain small sized like my egyptians.well i wont ever get them chip no matter what,i think these poeple need to sit down and sort it out now. the tortoise in the photos has been to the vets, the poeple tell me the vet has taken it out and cleaned the site to stop any infections.so i hope some one out there reads and learns from this,think before you chip.jeff

#8 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

Unfortunately we are not listened too, It's the vets that really should complain to DEFRA, In Force, then something might be done.
My vets went out on a limb for me, after they thought they had peirced the bladder with one of my juveniles, even contacting DEFRA and saying how they thought it barbaric, but they didn't get anywhere, now I have to sign a disclaimer, in case anything should go wrong during any future proceeders.
The tortoise was ok by the way
Arnie

#9 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

HI Arnie im glad to hear the tortoise is doing ok after the micro chip inplant,i would not put chips in any young tortoise no matter what.take care jeff

#10 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:16 PM

Hi Jeff,
Sadly I have to down size and I would be breaking the law to sell my tortoises over 10cm without a chip, so not realy a lot of choice, beleive me I have tried even asking DEFRA if I could send the chip with the tortoise and it be implanted at a later date, but DEFRA have insisted that this is not even an issue, they must be inside the tortoise at the time of sale
Arnie :-(

#11 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:13 PM

call me, or name me of breaking the law, i dnt care, but i could not, never chip a tort as young and as small as that, i wouldnt sell my torts untill they were big enough to be chipped, even though if there is a space issue, i'd make room by frowing my hubby out lol lol :7

linzi-lou

2.1.0. hermanns
0.1.2. spur thighs(ibera)
0.0.2 marginated

#12 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:44 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-04-06 AT 01:46 PM (GMT)]According to the law they are big enough to micro chip
And I'm not throwing anyone out, I'm having to move due to ill health
At least in my own way I have tried to get this barbric action stopped, what have you done????
Arnie

#13 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

chill arnie, i wasnt having a go, i defo solute you hun, im just meerly saying its unkind to chip at this size, my response certainly wasnt aimed to you, it was upsetting for me to see the chip poking out, as this is my tort by the way, and he's doing brilliantly now after a quick trip to a brilliant reptiles vet.

linzi-lou

2.1.0. hermanns
0.1.2. spur thighs(ibera)
0.0.2 marginated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users