- - - - -

Poor Tortoises disturbing image inside

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

Whilst surfing the web I found this image which I found very disturbing. It shows one of the crates from a shipment of 500 Horsfields tortoises on route to Hong Kong the former USSR, which have been crushed to death or almost to death :-( . The crate I had no idea just how badly tortoises were shipped certainly another reason to buy Captive bred not wild caught. :-( :-( :-(

1.0.2 Hermanns

#2 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

That's truely horrifying - makes you want to weep.

#3 Guest_jb14__*

Guest_jb14__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

This is why tortoise importation MUST stop

#4 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:04 PM

Pete thanks for posting that picture it shows the real horror of what these poor things endure on there way to the local pet shop and the dirty dealer any one who trades in wild caught animals whether it be tortises or not should be thoughly digusted now this is why the shellshock campaign was created to try and stop this vile trade in innocent animals
Darren
God thats such a shocking picture

#5 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:09 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-03-06 AT 08:17 PM (GMT)]I was just so shocked at the picture that I felt others needed to see it to understand this trade better.

Heres another picture this time of Pancake tortoises

1.0.2 Hermanns

#6 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

OMG, That is Horrible, WHY do these people get away with it?? I just dont understand the way the system works,x( x( x(
These people Need named and shamed. x( x( x( Them poor tortoises, and there is so much of this happenening, It needs STOPPED NOW!!!!!!!!! x( x(

x( x(
Yours
CJ
:P
www.tortoises.piczo.com
My Tortoises
2.3.2 Hermann's

#7 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

I dont think the importers would want to be crushed to death do you??

1.0.2 Hermanns

#8 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:38 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-03-06 AT 08:39 PM (GMT)]No But they SHOULD BE! x(

Yours
CJ
:P
www.tortoises.piczo.com
My Tortoises
2.3.2 Hermann's

#9 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:20 PM

It wasn't so many years ago that this was what was happening in the UK. Back in the days when everyone had tortoises in their back gardens, my ex-husband used to work for a large aquarium and tropical fish shop in Oxford, and it was his job to go up to Heathrow to pick up shipments of tropical fish that were coming in from abroad. I remember him coming home countless times (this was in the early 1970s) and saying how horrifying the conditions were that tortoises were shipped in (all livestock was held in the same place at Heathrow). He said they came in in huge skips, just piled on top of one another to a depth of four or five feet, the result being that the bottom two feet or so of tortoises were crushed from the weight of the tortoises on top of them. I can't remember when the legislation came in to outlaw that, but I think it was sometime in the late 70s. So all those lovely torts that people had in their back gardens managed to make it over here at the expense of thousands of other torts who died on the way.
It's a real shame that this is still going on in other parts of the world.

Nina

#10 Guest_seven_*

Guest_seven_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:30 PM

Now that is horrible,why do some sad,sick people do it they should be locked up for ever.

My Tortoise's
3.10.4 Hermann
28.10.4 Hermann

#11 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

Hi Pete thanks for posting those horrid pics, it true poeple need to be awhere of this horrid going ons.there are just some poeple on this planet that just dont care much for life.and it gets me mad to think some where out there it still gos on, collecting from the wild is a shame full act of cruelty bring back tortoise from there home lands to cold wet england sicken me.for every 1 who sees this photos this is what realy gos on just so poeple can have a PET and they make money,this is very sick.

#12 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2006 - 09:15 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 31-03-06 AT 09:22 AM (GMT)]Truly horrific pictures, but the reality to the dealers and importers these poor animals who have been plucked for the wild which are now dead or dying form part of a shipment representing "profit" before the orders are even placed the importers know a percentage will arrive dead and a further percentage will be unfit for sale. It makes me soooo sad. The only way to stop it is to stop people buying them.

As tortoise owners we owe it to our babies to tell anyone who shows interest in these animals NOT to buy from the trade and to go via a local breeder, who keeps the animals for the enjoyment and conservation, not the money.

Anyone who comes round my house and says awww you have tortoises gets a short but informative conversation about conservation and how important it is not to buy form dealers. Cus a lot of people i speak to wants one, so if we can all stop just 1 person buying a w/c tortoise we have all just saved 1200 torotise's, and if those people we stop tells someone else and each stops one person buying w/c torotise's i wont take long to slow sales in w/c animals.

We are the generation that can stop this, if we do nothing buy the time the next generation come along certain species will only be seen is books and on tv.

Darren :'(

It does'nt take much to make a BIG difference !!

#13 Guest_Chelo Mum_*

Guest_Chelo Mum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:04 PM

A horrible image of a horrible trade. I'm getting sick of seeing wild caught tortoises badly housed in pet shops here, practically dead. The local branch of CITES here in the UAE is USELESS and is a disgrace to the whole CITES community. What sickens me is nobody cares out here to do anything about it, they're too busy driving around in their flashy 4x4s and spending the oil money.

x(

#14 Guest_DCTORTOISES_*

Guest_DCTORTOISES_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:24 AM

God that is sick and they are the same pictures that tobytort tried to say where mine now you know why i get so angry at liers. the thread was later removed thank god . when i first saw then i even though they looked like masked up pancake tortoises because they where in such a bad state its just sick . i prefer my uk c/b ones anyday and will never import its just sick and they should be hung for that. If they know who imported them i hope they rot in hell or at least in prison for the rest of their sick life's.

#15 Guest_pork pies_*

Guest_pork pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

My God, the appalling lengths some people will go to for the sake of a few pounds. To bring so much death and suffering to these poor creatures. Of course the problem isn't just a lack of laws in some parts of the world to protect animals, it's also a problem of stupid people who buy these animals as pets, thus fueling the trade. What's more, even in this country, the punishment for breaking the law is usually no more than a slapped wrist and a small fine. What a sad state of affairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users