• Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:08 PM

thankyou does any1 else have red foots?

:+ < i love this smiley

#4 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

Welcome to this forum. Can I just ask how your are keeping your red foot as that substrate looks totally unsuitable ;)

0.1.3 Hermanns
1.0.0 graeca graeca

#5 Guest_dash_*

Guest_dash_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:12 PM

erm its special tortiose substrate brb il find out for you it was recomended to me by the pet shop person as i bought him of her....

right its called repti - turf with a mixture of bark only a lil bit though

#6 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:09 AM

Wow hes a beauty :-)
Like his dark red colourings ...
Jo x

#7 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:22 PM

I thought it was this is no good for reds as they need a bit of humidity and the repti turf absorbs water and goes muhy. I would change your substrate to a playsand and topsoil 50/50 mix and bark. What kind of housing do you have? Is it a vivarium or an open topped enclousure? :-)

0.1.3 Hermanns
1.0.0 graeca graeca

#8 Guest_dash_*

Guest_dash_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:37 PM

a vivarium as he is 1 yr old

ok but he doesnt need it humid yet as 50% of yr it dry n 50% of yr it humid and this season is dry ;-)

#9 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:29 PM

Was it the petshop that gave you this information as it is rubbish. It doesn't matter about the age of a tortoise it still shouldn't be kept in a viv as this is unsuitable. As for humidity red foots require humidity all year round ;)

0.1.3 Hermanns
1.0.0 graeca graeca

#10 Guest_dash_*

Guest_dash_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

yh but aint it to cold for him to be out??

and yh it was a pet shop and iv read many books and al of them say they should be in a vivarium to around 80oc and 70oc at night

#11 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:47 PM

He won't be too cold out of the viv he will be much better off. What you need is an open topped enclousure with a UV tube and a spot bulb or a UV/heat combined. At night in a normal home tortoises require no heat at all. As for books almost all of them are rubbish only books by the tortoise trust are usually any good.

0.1.3 Hermanns
1.0.0 graeca graeca

#12 Guest_dash_*

Guest_dash_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:25 PM

oo ok wel he has a uv bulb and a heat bulb(very low) and at night there turned of. he goes out round the house in the day unless it warm he goes out in the garden in a run

#13 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

hi i keep reds, you could easily turn the viv onto its back and take the glass doors out if its a problem buying or building a tort table, as all torts need ventilation, also the humidity for reds needs to be 70-80 mark, top soil and childrens play bark works well for substrates, and they are cheap and last ages , you can buy this from b&q etc, it substains the humidity really well, also what are you feeding your red? by the way he is very handsome, stunning colourings :D

linz

hermanns
spur thighs(ibera)
marginated
redfoots

#14 Guest_dash_*

Guest_dash_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:43 AM

coz lettuce (he loves), brocli , carrots sometimes, he rele likes red cabbage, and safe weeds at the moment we just testing to see what he likes

#15 Guest_dash_*

Guest_dash_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:44 AM

o and for proteins,wax worms,mealworms

#16 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:55 AM

hi again,. the wax worms and meal worms are fine, how often do you feed your red them?, every 2 weeks is ok, but please cut out the broccli, lettuce etc, they are no good, they take up all the calcium which your tort needs, reds diet consists of 50%weeds 30% fruit and 20% protein,,, try a mixed weed diet nearly every day twice a week add fruit, (mango berrys papaya melon) then your protein, meal worms snails, boiled chicken) every 2-3 weeks, and you need calcium,,, nutrobol twice a week and limestone flour sprinkled on their food daily, or you can mix them of 7 parts limestone to 2 parts nutrobal, for the lime try ordering from a farm shop, petshop also you can buy nutrobal from any pet shop, if no luck luck them up on ebay, hope this helps, but please take into consideration what i have told as your little fella really does need a good diet and enviroment dnt 4get about turning the viv onto its back hun, and the bark soil substrates, wish you luck darling, please let us know how you get on, p.s heres a couple of piccys of my babes

linz

hermanns
spur thighs(ibera)
marginated
redfoots

#17 Guest_dash_*

Guest_dash_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:02 PM

ok yh he only has them every two weeks and he has nutrobal sprinkled on his food twice a wekk and something else forgot now on his food everyday. ok il do what u say!! =D thankyou for your advice

#18 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

I'm glad your taking the advice on board, let us know how you get on changing his enclousure ;)

0.1.3 Hermanns
1.0.0 graeca graeca

#19 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:16 PM

Hi dash did you make the change for your torts health?

linz

spur thighs(ibera)
marginated
redfoots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users