- - - - -

Help - Jaundice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_milou1_*

Guest_milou1_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:52 AM

I took my spur-thigh to the vet last night for a pre-hibernation check and also because I noticed that his mouth looked a little yellow and I was concerned there may have been mouth rot. The vet said not to hibernate him because he thinks he may be jaundiced. He did not take a blood test because of the risks involved but offered no practical advice apart from treat him as normal and bring him back in a few weeks.

Research indicates poor diet or hepatitis. I am so careful about what he eats - none of this shop bought pelletted stuff - just dandes and clover etc. I've only had him since July so could it be a longer term problem he's had that has just come to light?

Also, I really need to see a vet with more reptile expertise. Does anyone know one in south devon?

I feeling pretty desperate right now as you can imagine, please help if you can. I so worried about my poor little chap :-(

#2 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:28 AM

Hi Milou,

I think we need Arnie on this one. I'm so sorry to hear that Fabio may be ill. Was it his tongue that was yellow? A long shot, but could it have been something he'd eaten? I thought that with jaundice they were off their food, and I don't recall you saying that Fabio was. I think a second opinion might be in order and Arnie might know a vet in South Devon. Fingers crossed that Fabio is OK.

Nina

#3 Guest_milou1_*

Guest_milou1_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:46 AM

Hi Nina,

No he's not off his food, his poo etc seems ok and when it was so sunny on Sunday I had him outside and he was really active - trying to escape as usual.

I hadn't been feeding him 'cos I was going to hibernate him but after the vet advised against hibernation I took him home and fed him straight away. He scoffed the lot (dandis and a little cucumber to help his hydration) It's not his toungue that's yellow it's his gums so to speak. There's no cheesy matter or anythng in there. I just want to do the best for him.

I'm feeling so sad :'(

#4 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:55 PM

I always think of dandelions when the word yellow is mentioned. put him on some salad food for a few weeks .
Buy Floretti CRISPY salad mix, cos/romaine lettuce, water cress, rocket.
What colour is the actual tongue, it should be pink

See if there is a vet on here

http://www.anapsid.o...ts/england.html

I wouldn't hibernate him till we know he's ok
Arnie

#5 Guest_milou1_*

Guest_milou1_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:58 AM

Thanks Arnie,

His toungue is pink, it's just his 'gums' that look yellow.

There have been a few developements since I last posted....

I phoned the guy who's the vet for Newquay zoo and he asked about Fabs overall health. He's said since his wee/poo is fine, he's really active and alert since he started eating again and his eyes are bright, just to keep and eye on him. He seemed to think that sometimes a yellow mouth can be a bit of a red herring so to speak.

I also went to see the breeder he came from to check his other spur thigh. Although it was difficult to get a good look (unfortunately they don't go aaah when you ask them do they?) it looked similar when I did managed to get a glimpse.

I do feed him lots of dandis but only the leaves, not the flowers. Will take your advice tho and put him on salad for a while.

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit happier now but don't want to get complacent. We've just resigned ourselves to overwintering him. Secretly pleased about that 'cos I was going to miss him when he was in hibernation.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

#6 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:43 PM

Hello Milou1
That is good news, beleive me when a tortoise is ill it really shows, but you were on the case straight away so well done you.

Actually it's the leaves of the Dandi that makes the urates go yellow.
That white stuff they pass when they wee. The gum is more a bone so could be just slightly discloured by the leaves. if he stops eating, his tongue goes white or pale, is lethargic and his eyes go dull, then these are signs to watch for, alos make sure the urates stay white and of a creamy texture
Arnie

#7 Guest_milou1_*

Guest_milou1_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:36 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-11-06 AT 10:37 PM (GMT)]Hi Arnie,

Sorry I've not replied sooner, pc problems!

Thanks for your reassurance.

I've dropped the dandes from his diet and he's on the Floretti crispy. He's eating loads as well so I'm much happier given the signs to look out for and lack of appetite etc.

His urates are as they should be and he's very active when i get him our of his pen for a 'run' around.

Fingers crossed...milou

#8 Guest_milou1_*

Guest_milou1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:02 PM

Hi, well Fabio seems as fine as ever. I don't think his mouth seems so yellow and his toungue is still nice and pink.

One thing I am cancerned about is how much I should be feeding him whilst overwintering. He gets a handful of Floretti crispy mixed with a little kale three times a day.

At present he is 16cm long and weighs 850 grammes which is top end of the range on the Jackson chart. Am I overfeeding?

#9 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:19 AM

Hi Milou,

Glad Fabio is looking better. You do have to be careful about over-feeding, especially if you are over-wintering because he will be getting a lot less exercise indoors than he would outdoors in the summer. Some people feed all they can eat in an hour, every other day, some feed all they can eat in 20 minutes every day, and some feed enough weeds/leaves/flowers to make a little jacket to cover his shell each day. I do the jacket thing (sort of) and once a fortnight just have a day with no food, or a couple of days with less food.

Nina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users