- - - - -

dont know what to do

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_goldfish_*

Guest_goldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:25 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-11-06 AT 02:31 PM (GMT)]i have a graeca turtle from Morocco brought back this year in may,( its less than 4 inches in lenght) ok i know we are not supposed to do that but now i have to look after it. bewteen May and Septembre it was happy, living outside and inside at night, eating well.
since end of Septembre it has stopped eating alltogether and is sleeping a lot, its inside with a heating lamp and uv lamp. i am told it should hibernate but others tell me it shouldnt. when i put the heating lamp on it will wake up someyimes will be awake all day but still wont eat. how would i know if she is sick or not. some people say she should sleep and not eat in a room which is not below 10C other wise it may die. advice please!! :(

http://i56.photobuck...oto/terra-2.jpg

#2 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:17 PM

Hello Jenny
I need to know what sort it is, if it's a Tunisian then it shouldn't hibernate, can you take a photo of the top of the head and also of the shell, they have a mark on their head which I would need to check out.
While you have the camera out, photo his/her rear end so I can see the tail, the best view is upside down but torts don't like this, :-)
Can you tell me how long he is?, I just need the length, sit him on a tape measure and the length is with his head in.
Arnie

#3 Guest_goldfish_*

Guest_goldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:43 PM

it's 9 cm long without the head,

http://i56.photobuck...to/tortue-1.jpg

and look at the 2 pictures on this link
http://tortues-terre...c.forum?t=14130

i hope ou can help. thanks

#4 Guest_pmullen_*

Guest_pmullen_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:49 PM

hi you dont have a tunisian tortoise,
but i dont think its a hibernating one (wait for arhnib)
it depends on colour to wheather a tortoise comes from an area where there are warm winters or cold winters!;)

#5 Guest_pmullen_*

Guest_pmullen_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

which part of morocco did you bring him back from, this will help us tell if he hibernates
ps. this is illegal,

#6 Guest_goldfish_*

Guest_goldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:07 PM

casablanca.

#7 Guest_pmullen_*

Guest_pmullen_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:00 PM

i would think that you have a non hibernating tortoise,
to me it looks like its from the coastal region,
where as i have one from the mountains of casablanca and hibernates

what temps have you, basking should be around 35- 40 oc
and backround temps aropund 20-25:)

#8 Guest_goldfish_*

Guest_goldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:18 PM

22 in the room and 30 under the lamp. i gave it a bath an dwhen i do this it wakes up , and has eaten a bit now for the past 2 days. thanks for all your info.

#9 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:09 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-11-06 AT 09:10 PM (GMT)]Well looking at the top of the 2 photo's on the other site, they look like Eygptians, if this is the same tort that is in your hand, then it's not, as the carapace markings are very distinct.
Can you just confirm they are your tortoise and I will send them to someone who breeds Tunisians.
The one in your hand looks like a female at the moment
Arnie

#10 Guest_goldfish_*

Guest_goldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:17 PM

yes i can confirm it is one and only tortoise

#11 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:59 AM

I would also have said an egyptian on first site. Just the area you say you brought it back from isn't really in an egyptians range. I wonder could it also be terrestris type - it does look similar to some terrestris type I have seen.
Will also agree with Paul. By bringing this tortoise back from morroco you have broken the law.
Peter

0.1.3 Hermanns
1.0.0 graeca graeca
1.0.0 Horsfield

#12 Guest_goldfish_*

Guest_goldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:32 PM

ok I have broken the law? is this a forum dedicated to help people? i didnt know at the time so noe it's to lat eand the best i can do is to look after it properly. so youwould say its not a graeca marokensis? but an egyptian one? and do they hibernate?

#13 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:48 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-11-06 AT 01:01 PM (GMT)]I'm not having a go at you, but just wanted to point out you could get in a lot of trouble and I'm afraid not knowing isn't any sort of defence. But anyway like you say the concern now is the tortoise.
There isn't such a sub species as marokensis, I don't think. We have said it may be an egyptian, but I think this is unlikely - if it is egyptian then no it doens't hibernate.
I have sent the pictures to a friend of mine who has a lot of experience with torts, north africans inpaticular. I will let you know what he says.
Peter

0.1.3 Hermanns
1.0.0 graeca graeca
1.0.0 Horsfield

#14 Guest_goldfish_*

Guest_goldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:52 PM

thank you very much for your concern and i am surprised about the marokensis, so many people told me about it.

#15 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:11 PM

Did you find the tort in morroco, or did you buy it from a market over there?

0.1.3 Hermanns
1.0.0 graeca graeca
1.0.0 Horsfield

#16 Guest_goldfish_*

Guest_goldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:30 PM

Did you find the tort in morroco, or did you buy it from a market over there?

0.1.3 Hermanns
1.0.0 graeca graeca
1.0.0 Horsfield

i bought it in a market in the heart of casablanca

#17 Guest_Henry_Flash_*

Guest_Henry_Flash_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

I have shown the pictures to my friend and he thinks it could be graeca soussensis, from south morroco, if so then it doesn't hibernate. Would it be possible to see a picture of the torts spurs so a definate ID can be reached.
Peter

0.1.3 Hermanns
1.0.0 graeca graeca
1.0.0 Horsfield

#18 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:25 AM

Hello Jenny
Well can confirm that your tortoise ie neither Egyptian or Tunisian which both species do not hibrnate.
But under the circumstances, first off I would get a poo ssample and take it to the vet to check for worms or parasites, I wouldn't hibernate the tort this year anyway, if she is healthy, then next year come back, remind us of the story, well remind me, it's age you know :-) and we will take it from there
Arnie

#19 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:45 PM

ok I have broken the law?

You sound rather chilled about breaking the law, this is prosecutable offence and carry’s a £5000 fine.

#20 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:37 PM

Hi Arnie

I'm a little confused. (doesnt take much :P )

Is this an egyptian tortoise, looks like the one i saw the other day i mentioned on the ohter part of the forum.

If it is not an egyptian what do you think it is?

Jade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users