UV Lamp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_allh2k_*

Guest_allh2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:53 AM

Hello

I have a spur thighed tortoise and after reading alot of meterial on the net, I have made a nice habitat :)

I have a 300 watt UV heat bulb I think this is tooooo big am I right?

I have followed the guide from

http://www.slowcoach...m/vivarium.html

and will make a stand for the lamp to be about 3 foot away...

I have a timer that will turn on for 2 HRs then go off for an hr, 4 times then start again 12 hrs later will that be ok for the lil fella?

#2 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:59 AM

I don't use the combined lamps, but I would think 300W is way more than you need (and will give you a big electricity bill), but I would also worry that 3' away is too far for the UVB. Does it give you guidelines on the box for how far away it should be for effective UVB? Hopefully someone will come in who knows more about these bulbs.

Nina

#3 Guest_sarahlee110_*

Guest_sarahlee110_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

Hey!

I'm only pretty knew to tortoise keeping myself, but i do have one of the combined lamps for my spur-thigh, so i may beable to help you shead some light on the situation (excuse the pun!)

My lamp is 100 watt, also containing UVB. I was told to place it 1 foot away from the bottom of the enclosure and make sure that the temperature in the hot end was about 90. So, i would think that although 300 watt is quite a lot, if you keep it 3 feet away (basically thats 3 times as far away as mine, but it 3 times as strong) then that would be about right. As for the UVB, i would have thought he would still get it the same, especially if its a flood light you've got, it will spread the light over a larger area.
I don't keep my lamp on all day either, i also have timer that switches it on for a few hours in the morning and then 4 hours in an afternoon and he's been perfectly happy so far.

I guess my advice would be to keep an eye on the temp and just make sure its a nice 90 pretty much and as for the UVB i would think that even though its 3 feet away, he will still get the benefit.

Hope this has helped!!

Sarah

#4 Guest_allh2k_*

Guest_allh2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:47 PM

Thx for the advise but it looks like my 3 yr old daughter has been very naughty and now i have no tort :'(

#5 Guest_l1277702_*

Guest_l1277702_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

What do you mean?!

#6 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:42 PM

WHAT

#7 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*