- - - - -

male or female

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mandykms_*

Guest_mandykms_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:20 PM

Hi everyone im new to this site and am finding it very interesting.But can any one help me. I have got two horsefields and they was 2 yrs old when we brought them they are now coming up to 4yrs.Over the last few months i have noticed one paying interest in the other climbing on back etc.....when speedy climbed on to shelby last week i noticed some fluid come out of him.I feel a bit worried now as i was told when i brought them that they didnt mature till they was ten yrs old.I was told you could tell the difference between them by their tail but having inspected them they both have the same type of tail.They both come to a point and have like a slit undeneath.Are they male or female?..Also they was the same size when we brought them.Now their is a big difference in size.Shelby who is the smaller one which speedy keeps climbing on when she had a bath last week she started to swish her tail in the water when i picked her out she had something hanging out of her tail which was quite long and went in to like a funnel shape.Does any one know what this was.Can some one help me i am a very confused tort owner.

#2 Guest_julez_*

Guest_julez_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:05 PM

hi, i also bought two 2 years old and i was told that they were a male and female, although i couldnt see any difference in them, i named mine tommy and shelby so good names! after about a year tommy started shell butting and climbing on top of shelby who isnt the fastest of tortoises, he also had a "thing" coming out of his tail, and my brother that saw the incident said it looked alot like you described. i wouldnt worry to much though, tommy gave uo on shelby after a month or so. if you do have a male and a female you'll eventually have to seperate them as the male will get very aggressive towards the female, but that shouldnt happen for a year or so yet, as they dont breed until they have started hibernating.

hope this is a help!

:-)

ps, you didnt get them from buyatortoise.info did you????

#3 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-02-07 AT 03:43 PM (GMT)]Hi Mandy,

Sorry I missed this when you originally posted it. As Julez has said, your tort with the swishing tail and the long funnel thing hanging out is most definitely a male. Your other tort could be male or female (male torts will mount anything - a favourite being the odd trainer that is left lying around ). If you send us pictures of the underneath side of your tortoises - the tail end, we can try to sex them for you. If you do have a male and a female, they might get on fine, but you might also have to separate them if the male constantly harrasses the female, and the female seems stressed. One thing you can do in the meantime is provide the female with lots of extra little hiding places. Or, you can get at least one more female, so that the male's attentions are divided between them and they can get a bit of peace.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/

#4 Guest_Bumble_*

Guest_Bumble_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:44 PM

I am not trying to be rude but what is wrong with www.buyatortoise.info
i got my tort from them but there is absolutly no way that i would put my tort in a vivarium go to www.thecreaturefeature.co.uk and scroll down to the torts and there is a tortoise trolly they call it and my tortoise Bumble loves it.

Please reply

Thanks
Rebecca xx.

#5 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:11 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 10-04-07 AT 02:21 PM (GMT)]buyatortoise is flipping awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the complaints from people who have bought from there are non stop.

http://www.buyatortoise.info/food.htm (buy a tortoise advertising dry pellet food, describing it as a treat!)

"A diet of chopped greens (kale, endive, mustard, dandelions, etc.) and/or a commercial tortoise diet (15% to 18% protein) should be fed to the tortoises"

"Hatchling tortoises can be maintained in a large vivarium."

x(

#6 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:25 PM

http://www.hermann-t...orumID28/3.html

there are two examples following this link of how crap buyatortoise is

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users