- - - - -

vivarium

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bling_*

Guest_bling_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:14 PM

hello new to the site would like some advice.
i have just bought a horsefield ,were i have bought him from suggested a vivarium it is 3 foot long so they is plenty of room for him,i asked the shop keeper on two acasions if it was suitable and he said it was because it has four air vents so it has good circulation,but having now read posts on the forum i am begining to wounder if i have done the right thing ,i pick m tortoise up tomoz
thanks for any advice :'(

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:50 AM

i'm sorry to say it bling but a lot of pet stores just se signs and a viv costs a lot of money to buy so of course they will advise this.

The best and cheapest way to accomodate your little tort is to buy or make a tortoise table. there are loads for sale on ebay, i made my own by getting a bookshelf form the freeads for a tenner and lying it on its back. this way there is plenty of ventilation and the humidity is far less than a viv.

If you bought your tort from a pet shop did you get a lisence (i cant remember if horsefields have to have one but i think they do) somebody on here will let you know that. If the place of origin says slovenia you want to take a faeces and urates (wee) sample to the vet and have it check for worms and other parasites. Even if it is not from slovenia have it cheked out anyway :)

Although not all pet stores are involves, many import the torts and they have to suffer awful traumas. Check out the tortoise protection group photos. If you search for tpg darren or lepinsky they have links to their protetion site.

Let us have a look at the pics of your new little guy. Have you named him yet? Remember horsefields are good little diggers so when he goes outside be careful :P

#3 Guest_no2kimbo_*

Guest_no2kimbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

Horsfields don't need a license.

Definate no no to the vivarium. Never believe what a pet shop keeper says or what any books other than ones approved by the tortoise trust says. I made my own using a potting table bought from Focus for 20. (See pic)

http://farm1.static....677e8c3a9_o.jpg

#4 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:02 PM

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, and well done for asking all the right questions before you get your tortoise!.

No2Kimbo is right - horsfields don't need licences at the moment, but your tortoise will almost certainly be imported from abroad, and will have suffered considerable stress because of that - and will almost certainly have a high worm load (and perhaps a high protozoa load as well). If you can back out of this sale now, we can help you find a good, reputable UK breeder - the tortoise will be healthy, you will get good advice when you buy him and good after-sales advice, and you will know that you are not contributing to depleting the stocks in the wild. An added bonus is that the price that breeders charge is usually cheaper than from petshops. The TPG have an excellent breeders's list (see the link to the site under my signature), but if you'd like to pm me, I will be happy to help you.

A vivarium is a VERY bad environment for a tortoise for several reasons: tortoises need to heat up and cool off throughout the day, so you want a temperature of about 90F at one end of their enclosure and about 70F at the other - the enclosed nature of a vivarium (even with vents) prevents this; humidity can build up in a vivarium and cause mould spores to grow; tortoises don't understand the concept of glass and will get very frustrated trying to get through it; the floor space of even a big vivarium is usually not enough for a tortoise (vivs are usually tall, long and narrow). And they cost a lot!

A set of bookshelves, as Jade suggested, make a good tortoise table, but if you want something quickly, you can get one of those large underbed storage boxes that you can buy at B&Q for less than 10.
For good information on keeping horsfields, have a look at this site:
http://www.thetortoisehouse.com/

And do please reconsider if you are thinking of buying from a petshop or the internet. It might mean a short delay in getting your tortoise, but it would be a very wise decision in the long term.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/

#5 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

really beautiful enclosure no2kimbo; im very fussy and critical but i really cant fault it :7

#6 Guest_bling_*

Guest_bling_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:14 PM

hi all
thank you all for your advice,
the viv i got is wood with glass doors ,the reason for not getting a tort table was because we have a cat ,the viv has got vents in and because we already put the heat lamp and uv in we had already drilled holes in it so could not return it ,
what we have done is put more vents in now and temp at both ends r fine which is 20 degrees at cool end and 32 at warm end .we picked tortoise up today and named him george unless we find he is female it will be georga ;) and soon as i can i will put pics on of his home and him once he has settled in ,he is lovely :)
thanks

#7 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

hi all
thank you all for your advice,
the viv i got is wood with glass doors ,the reason for not getting a tort table was because we have a cat ,the viv has got vents in and because we already put the heat lamp and uv in we had already drilled holes in it so could not return it ,
what we have done is put more vents in now and temp at both ends r fine which is 20 degrees at cool end and 32 at warm end .we picked tortoise up today and named him george unless we find he is female it will be georga ;) and soon as i can i will put pics on of his home and him once he has settled in ,he is lovely :)
thanks

Hi Bling,

vents or no vents a vivarium is still very inappropriate. You have perhaps helped the air circulation problem but glass doors will constantly frustrate George as he will not understand the concept of glass and will try to get through it. I guarentee you will notice him banging his little head against the glass to try and get through and this is no way for a tort to live happily. Also, while you may think you have a large vivarium, even the most largest of viv's provide extremely small surface area for George to explore.

I understand the cat problem but some cheap mesh wiring to put over the top of a table will eliminate this problem completely. Make sure you give George the best start in life and get him out of that viv!
:)

#8 Guest_no2kimbo_*

Guest_no2kimbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:47 PM

I agree with tortgal, if it were me I would be selling the viv on ebay if I couldn't return it.

Is your cat particularly nasty? Have you introduced them to each other? My cats not particularly bothered about my tortoise, she does sit and watch him every now and again just out of curiosity but never tries to attack him or anything?

Glad you like my enclosure tortgal :-) I really suprised myself with my DIY skills lol

#9 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:49 AM

lol gosh id probably drill a hole through my hand if i attempted anything like that :o

and your right, cats tend to ignore torts. If they go anywhere near the tort he will go into his shell and cats soon get bored waiting for him to come out, its dogs that are more of a threat. they just see a walking bone :D

#10 Guest_TPG_*

Guest_TPG_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:23 PM

Hiya,

I have to say if you keep your tortoise in a vivarium the chances are it will develop health problems (there are lots of cases of this on this list). They keep in the heat and the tortoise can't escape it. Also Horsfields require a dry environment. A vivarium will cause the atmosphere to become humid and may well lead to respiratory problems. You can use a tortoise table with chicken wire over the top or there are small rabbit enclosures which are easy to clean, as they have a plastic base, and also have a cage over the top which will allow ventilation but also keep away any unwanted guests.

Darren
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/

#11 Guest_lloyd_*

Guest_lloyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:18 AM

l.marsh
i dont see the problem with vivs i no alot of people with them when they get bigger like 9 inches u can make a "tort table"but they seem alot small to me if u buy the right viv they cant see out any way ive had mint in a viv for 2 yrs and i just bought a horsfiedeld and shes happy in there 2 they get there heat from therer and turn calcium to bone and all that stuff but they do cum out all bar 8 hrs in viv so i dont soo a problem tort tables look a mess i think and they may also get cold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users