- - - - -

stomitites

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_fred_*

Guest_fred_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:31 PM

hi, does anyone out there know anything about a mouth problem called stomatites? A friend of mine has a young tortoise that has come out of hibernation 5 weeks ago this is his second one !And has done very well both times and has eaten straight away and seemed to be fine but she noticed a small growth under one of his scales on his cheek and took him to the vets this afternoon and was told he had this condition!And sometimes it can be caused by hiberneting would welcome any info on this!! Thankyou Fred

#2 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

Hi,

I found this on the Tortoise Trust site:
STOMATITIS

Another very serious and unpleasant disease, usually of bacterial origin (although viral forms are known), and one which is invariably fatal without prompt and appropriate treatment. Sometimes called 'mouth-canker' or 'mouth rot'. Symptoms: excess saliva production, refusal to eat, upon opening the mouth a sponge or cheese-like yellowish deposit may be visible. In addition, gums and tongue may have a deep red or purple tinge, possibly speckled with blood. This disease should be regarded as highly contagious to other tortoises. Isolate suspected cases immediately, and enforce strict hygiene precautions. Treatment: as much infected matter as possible should be removed gently using cotton swabs dipped in chlorhexidine solution. This should be repeated twice daily. Also the mouth can be gently rinsed with dilute 'BETADINE' solution. WARNING: some cases of stomatitis are unusually resistant to specific antibiotics. In such cases a laboratory analysis and sensitivity assay is essential. The oral cephalosporins have proved highly effective in some otherwise resistant cases. Tortoises with stomatitis will often need to drink each day, and may also require stomach tube feeding. Reptiles suffering from stomatitis are at considerable risk of secondary infections, principally pneumonia, and require expert handling under conditions of exceptional hygiene.

And this:
Stomatitis: If caught early, swab mouth twice daily with diluted Nolvasan or povidone-iodine (Betadine liquid). Severe infections need urgent veterinary treatment. Regular beak maintenance is important to prevent stomatitis. Some forms are caused by a herpes-group virus. Mixed colonies are much more at risk than small same-species groups maintained in isolation. Treatment is prolonged and often the prognosis is poor.

It does sound serious, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it has been caught early enough and the tort will respond to treatment.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users