- - - - -

what is a basking bulb

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tommy_*

Guest_tommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hi i have transformed my tortoises home!

He was in a vivarium, which i now understand was a big no no!
So i have taken off the top of it now, kept the uv light along the back wall, this means lots of ventilation which he wasnt getting before. I am now going to put a clip on 'basking' light at one end of the home, i am not sure what a basking light is? is it just a spot light type of bulb or is there a particular bulb i need to buy?
On ebay i have seen the clip on light and the seller is also selling a bulb, the bulb alone costs 4.50 was just wondering if i could go down the local town and pick up a bulb? what would i need to ask for?

kelly

#2 Guest_bling_*

Guest_bling_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

hi i have a 150watt ceramic heat bulb which you can buy from your local pet shop,put this at one side of the enclousure,i have mine on a thermostat which cuts out when it gets to about 30 degrees .
hope this helps
claire :7

#3 Guest_tommy_*

Guest_tommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:23 PM

Hi

Thanx for your help, got one now, all sorted x

#4 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:40 AM

Hi Kelly,

Sorry, there might have been some confusion but Aa ceramic heat emitter isn't a basking bulb. It is a bulb that gives out heat but no light, and can be useful if, say, your house temperature drops below about 55F at night and you want to keep the temperature above that (most people don't need them, but I have one because my house is very cold). A basking bulb is essential, and it is a bulb that gives off light and heat, and the tortoise can sit under it and bask. Tortoise do respond well to high light levels, and your UVB strip probably doesn't give off enough light. So you also need an ordinary household spotlight of either 60W or 100W. This will give off light and heat, and should give you the desired temperature in the basking spot (around 90F). You just raise or lower the bulb to get the temperature right.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users