Can you plant weeds in enclosure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tommy_*

Guest_tommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:55 PM

Hi

This might sound a really daft question but i have to ask, i have just purchased a pk of mixed seeds from shelled warriors, can i plant them in my tortoises indoor house or is it best to put them in seed trays & just give him some that way?

I use half play sand & half top soil

Pls don't laugh if this sounds ridiculous, im a newy!!! ha ha!!:D

ta, Kelly

#2 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

Hi Kelly! doesnt sound ridiculous at all! sensible question!

when i got my first tort i planted clover and dandilion seeds in the enclosure along with grass seeds as i thought this would make my torts environment pretty and yummy!! However - i soon came to realise this wasnt a good idea for several reasons....

1) eventually, if not all - some, of the weeds/flowers will die. this will happen soon enough from the tort trampling on them/defecating on them, or simply from drying out as weeds have a habit of doing. when this does happen its likely your tort will continue to nibble at them. My tort continued to eat the dead grass and eventually had trouble passing it - it got to the point where he had a piece of poo hanging from his bum by a thread of dead grass!! he also had a piece of grass hanging out his mouth - which went all the way down to his stomach and had to be cut! Not a great experience for him or me :o

2) you wont be able to control your torts food portions if he constantly has access to these yummy weeds and its likely he will quickly get over weight-leading to all sorts of problems!

3)the weeds will require A LOT of watering. especially if you have several - even remotely near your basking and UVb light. Depending on the species you have - this can play havoc with humidity controls, and although a light spraying of water on top soil/sand substrate is essential - too much damp is not recommended for most species.

sorry this post is so long but just had to share my experience in this matter :7 definitely plant them in seed trays - u can dig these under the substrate to give the impression its planeted - and also allows you to remove them as you which which will help prevent naughty nibbles and drying out! hope this helps :)

#3 Guest_tommy_*

Guest_tommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

Hi

Im glad i asked now!!

Thanks very much for your advice & sharing your unfortunate experience with planting them in the tortoises home!

I will definately plant them in seed trays & feed my little man the right quantity, rather than him have food there all of the time. You here of horror storys when they grow too fast and all that!

Don't feel so daft now, suppose if i don't ask i wont know will i!

Thanks for your reply

Kelly:-)

#4 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:17 PM

yep thats right! never a silly question! good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users