- - - - -

vivarium

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tanya_*

Guest_tanya_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2007 - 08:40 PM

hi could anyone please help i have a 6 month old spur thigh in a vivarium its got glass sliding doors and a mesh lid so he gets plenty air. he seems happy enough but should i still consider puting him in a tort table thanx

#2 Guest_bling_*

Guest_bling_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:15 PM

hi i have a 9 month old horsfeild,we went and bought a viv real exspensive got told would be fine because got vents in ,it is wood with glass sliding doors,i was a bit worried after going on the forums everyone saying no,so my husband put extra 3 by 2 inch vents in the cool end ,and it is fine i feel better and george is fine ,so yours with a mesh top should be fine ,hope this helps ;)

#3 Guest_tanya_*

Guest_tanya_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:47 AM

thanx alot thats a big help.

#4 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

the glass doors are still a big no no! the tort will spend most of his life banging his head against the glass!

#5 Guest_tanya_*

Guest_tanya_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 10-04-07 AT 05:10 PM (GMT)]its ok ive put him in the tort table we got with him, but we,re gonna build a bigger one as i dont think its big enough thanx. hes about 6 months old ,hes 11 cm and weighs 80 grams does anyone know if this sounds right.

#6 Guest_bling_*

Guest_bling_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:27 PM

hi not sure myself ,mine suppose to be 9 months but weighs 73 grams .so may be mine is younger but i think they all grow diffrent rates :7

#7 Guest_Jackie1_*

Guest_Jackie1_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:32 AM

Hi,
Mine are supposed to be 2 and a half years old and weigh 80gms and 100 gms ! Big difference !

#8 Guest_bling_*

Guest_bling_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:24 PM

hi mine does not keep banging his head on the doors never has ,and most of the time one side is open ,

#9 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

Hi Tanya, I checked him on the jackson ratio for younger torts, and hes too big for it. Are you sure hes 11cm this seems awful big for a tort that is 6 months old? Have a look at this tortoise trust guide to measuring torts..
http://www.tortoiset...s/measuring.htm
Also this site is really useful with lots of info on feeding your tortoise... lots of pics of edible weeds. the best food for your tort! http://www.tlady.cla...t.htm#plantlist
It might help if you start weighing your tortoise weekly, aim for a maximum weight gain of around 2 grams a month to ensure slow smooth growth.
Hope this helps,
Jo x

#10 Guest_tanya_*

Guest_tanya_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

that helps alot thankyou.

#11 Guest_tanya_*

Guest_tanya_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:57 PM

thanks for that help ive now measured george properly and hes 7,n,half cm

#12 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:29 PM

No worries, heres the link for the jackson ratio for younger torts...
http://upload4.posti...to_hosting.html
Jo :)

#13 Guest_lloyd_*

Guest_lloyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:12 AM

l.marsh
i have 2 torts a herman and a horsfield i only just had my horsfielld 1 week and i had my herman 2 yrs and hes bin in a viv for 2 yrs and hes fine happy they dont bang on the glass coz they cant soo out on mine and its 4 foor and the little horsfield has 1 3 foor and she also likes it bibs r fine i can asure u i just leave 1 of the doors open on the cool side a bit to let cool in if they bang heads on glass thern they must be unhappy or want to escape or summmet must be that but if they dont then they happy thats what i think any way lloyd

#14 Guest_lloyd_*

Guest_lloyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:12 AM

l.marsh
i have 2 torts a herman and a horsfield i only just had my horsfielld 1 week and i had my herman 2 yrs and hes bin in a viv for 2 yrs and hes fine happy they dont bang on the glass coz they cant soo out on mine and its 4 foor and the little horsfield has 1 3 foor and she also likes it bibs r fine i can asure u i just leave 1 of the doors open on the cool side a bit to let cool in if they bang heads on glass thern they must be unhappy or want to escape or summmet must be that but if they dont then they happy thats what i think any way lloyd

l.marsh
p.s if they cant see out then they cant bang on glass as they not meant too see out

#15 Guest_Gixer12_*

Guest_Gixer12_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:16 AM

Hi,

Torts are not bright full stop!

They don't know what glass is so will keep walking into it to get to the other side, it is as easy as that.

There not unhappy they are just trying to walk to where they can see.

If using glass then use black masking tape at the bottom to block out there line of sight.

Gixer

#16 Guest_lloyd_*

Guest_lloyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:02 PM

l.marsh
gixer u think u r a no it all??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users