- - - - -

Amys disapeared

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sallybr0_*

Guest_sallybr0_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:00 PM

I'm so upset, Amy has vanished. I put her out on the lawn with the rabbit in the run & when I came to bring them in last night Amy had gone. No sign of her digging under & no gaps under the run. We stayed up looking by torchlight til 00.30am then got up 6.30am to have a good look before work, I've been looking eversince I got home from work but she's just gone.
Any ideas?
Any similar stories with happy endings?
I doubt she's been stolen as we live in a little village & my parents were around all day.
Thanks for any replies.
SALLY x

#2 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:54 PM

oh no thats awful!!!:'(

I cant say it was a good idea letting her share the run with a rabbit but thats neither here nor there now. I know you say you have looked for signs of her digging under but keep trying to see if she has buried herself down, this is likely if she had to stay out for the night. Also plant some "naughty" food around the run as she will no doubt be a little peckish. If only rabbits could talk :(

good luck

#3 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:24 AM

Hi Sally,

I'm so sorry to hear that Amy has disappeared! What sort of tortoise is she? If she is a horsfield, she will have almost certainly dug her way out (but they are very clever and it's often hard to see where they have dug down). Do a finger-tip search of every inch inside the run, to see if any of the grass feels soft - like a tortoise could have dug a tunnel under it. Also check on any shrubs nearby that she could have hid under. Leave lots of naughty food around (tomatoes, strawberries), lie on your stomach on the ground and see if you see any movement of leaves in the borders, indicating that a tort might be moving about underneath them. Let us know how you get on, and we'll be keeping fingers crossed that you find her.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#4 Guest_lou lou_*

Guest_lou lou_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:07 PM

Hi Sally.
I am so sorry to hear about Amy.
Hope you find her soon...if you havnt already?

#5 Guest_sallybr0_*

Guest_sallybr0_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the advice, I've done all you suggest but still no Amy. Very depressing after 11 years of looking after her so carefully. Now going into the 3rd night. I've also rigged up her basking light outside hoping she'll head to a warm spot.
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

#6 Guest_sarahlee110_*

Guest_sarahlee110_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that she's disappeared!

I put my tortoise Sheldon in the garden yesterday and he managed to escape, but luckily i found him hiding in the plants....it definately got my pulse going though when i thought he'd gone. Have you got any any holes in the wall around your garden she could have sneaked in to, or through? I know you've probably searched everywhere, but if yours is anything like mine, once they find a spot they can hide in, or escape through, they just keep going back to them.

Hope you have better look tonight and she turns up good as new. Keep us posted!

Best of luck,
Sarah
xx

#7 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:24 PM

Hi Sally,
Sorry to hear about Amy... Just wanted to wish you the best of luck on finding her... Maybe you could put up some posters, and ask neighbours to look out for her :-)
Take care
Jo x

#8 Guest_sallybr0_*

Guest_sallybr0_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

HURRAY, WE'VE FOUND AMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am so relived & happy. My Husband was going down a path on the other side of our garden fence & there she was just wandering along, no harm done, so panic over. Still can't find a gap underneath the run or the fence though. She's staying inside now until super-delux outside run is built. Thanks so much for your messages.
Cheers SALLY xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#9 Guest_no2kimbo_*

Guest_no2kimbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

Yay! Glad you found her safe and sound :-)
we let our horsfield out in the sunshine today as it was so lovely out, just to be safe we put him in a run inside another run, as he is an escape artist too :-)

#10 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hi Sally,

That is absolutely brilliant news! Made my day! You must be overjoyed to have her back.

Nina

#11 Guest_lou lou_*

Guest_lou lou_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:31 PM

Really pleased you have found Amy! You must be so relived!

#12 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

so glad you have found amy :7

#13 Guest_sallybr0_*

Guest_sallybr0_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:25 PM

Thanks again everyone. The story now begins to unfold; my husband went out the evening she went missing to bring in the rabbit & left the door of the run open, it was only when I checked later that he'd brought them both in he said he hadn't because he didn't realise I'd put Amy out & hadn't seen her when he got the rabbit. He went back to get her but in the meantime she'd walked out. He's only just admitted to this because I was so upset & he felt so guilty. At least it's cleared up the mystery of how she got out!
We were so lucky to find her though, wouldn't like to go through that again.
Cheers SALLY x

#14 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:40 AM

Thats brilliant Amy, at least ur tort is safe and sound now :D

my 2 babies escaped on easter monday - how i still do not know. I found one but still have not found the other. Our garden is huge, one half is lawn and the other half is like steptoes yard. have been on stomach crawling around looking for days but still no luck. I was hoping she may get the scent of the other torts and come back but not as yet :(

will just have to hope the weather holds out and she is ok

#15 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:18 AM

Oh, Jade, I'm so sorry to hear that! Have you tried all the other methods (I'm sure you have), like leaving naughty food (tomatoes, strawberries) around? And maybe desk lamps on extension cords near shade areas, hoping to draw her out? Is you garden secure (i.e. no fences she can dig under)? If so, then I'm sure she'll turn up, but do let us know how you get on.

Nina

#16 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hi Nina

Thank you. Yes but still no sign . unfortuanlety there are lots of ways out for a tort as small as her. MY torts are in enclosed pens but my mum decided to put the babies out when i was out for the day (even though i told her not to) and she hadnt checked the pen was secure so they both escaped. luckily found one but not the other :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users