vivarium or table

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:48 AM

Hiya,All
What great comments about housing so I thought I would add mine, I have two leopard torts one is around four and the other is somewhere between two and three I think. They are kept in a Vivarium which is 4feet by 2feet and 2foot high. there is two 4inch by 2inch vents at the front and two at the back,it has toughened glass sliding doors which I keep open but I have the option to close if it gets too cold. My torts seem to be very happy and do not have any scaling of the skin due to humidity.
There was a concern about head butting the glass. I had the panel at the front made too high for speedy and mikka to reach for now but when they grow too big then I will adapt their home to suit their needs.
I really hope these comment help but what suits one doesn,t always suit another.
I have just to say great comments from Nina who always gives good advice.
ta ta for now:-)

#2 Guest_TPG_*

Guest_TPG_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:56 PM

Hi Maz,

Have you a thermostat or hygrometer at all?

Darren

#3 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

maz
Hiya Darren, yes I do have a thermometer which is kept constant at around 80 degrees through the day as leopards like it quite hot, it drops to around 65 deg, at night. I find this suits them both as they are growing, and active for around 12hours and then they sleep for another 12 hours,I hope this helps.:)

#4 Guest_TPG_*

Guest_TPG_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

Hi Maz,

Thanks for the reply. Is the whole viv around 80deg?

Darren

#5 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:52 PM

maz
No Darren there is a cool end where there is no basking light and plenty of little hidey holes for them to get in.This end is where their food is set out. The hot end has flat stones so they can scramble on and sunbathe, what a life.:-)

#6 Guest_TPG_*

Guest_TPG_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:39 PM

Hi Maz,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'd be inclined to measure the heat at the cool end and the basking end, if it's only 80deg at the warmest end, this isn't warm enough. Also if your tortoise is active 12 hours a day it tends to point to the whole viv being too hot. Tortoises are rarely active for the whole day and spend time sleeping.
I'd also be inclined to measure the humidity. In their natural environment the air would be dry, if you've got your tortoise in a viv the humidity will be far higher than it should be. Leopards, despite their robust appearance, are very fragile and will not live a full life in an environment that isn't suitable.

have you any photos of your viv Maz?

How long has your tortoise been in a viv?

Honestly I wish you'd re-think, a viv is definitely not suitable for a Leopard Tortoise.

I'll ask my collegue Helen to pop in, as she knows far more about Leopards than me. She runs the Yahoo Group for Leopard owners:-

http://pets.groups.y...ardtortoise-uk/

TC
Darren

#7 Guest_Quitosmum_*

Guest_Quitosmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:18 PM

Hi Maz

I'm coming late into this discussion so I may have missed some, but Darren is correct a vivarium will reduce the longevity of a leopard tortoise considerably. Not only is there the problem of humidity and the lack of being able to provide a proper microclimate to enable the tortoise to thermoregulate properly, but there is the lack of space aspect too as leopards are fast growers and need to be able to excercise freely. They shouldn't however be active all of the day as this is not natural behaviour. One of my rehomers came in a most beautiful vivarium which is now on it's side in the outside shed, empty.

A basking spot should be at 90F and the cooler end should be 70F during the day time and reducing to no lower than 60F at night. Leopards need bright light during the day and enjoy, like all of us, darkness during the night. You will need to start thinking about where to keep your leopards in future years. I keep some of mine in tortoise tables, but for some it will be their final year as next year they will be too large. Despite them being in tables I also have outdoor coldframes and enclosures which they have the freedom of on warmer days and they come into their tables at night. It's not warm enough to have them outside all day just yet (apart from last week);-). My larger leopards are kept outside. I have some of them in an insulated shed and others in a large greenhouse, both with outside runs.

I hope I am answering what it is you needed to know.

Helen
http://groups.yahoo....ardtortoise-uk/

#8 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:56 AM

maz
Thanks for your advice,I am quite worried now as I thought I was doing the right thing for my two, I will have to have a rethink about it all,I really do want to keep my two happy and comfortable and I am going to ask the old man to try and adapt this viv to a table,!I am sure he wont mind(Ihope)as he thinks a lot of them as I do.No I havn,t any photos of the viv as yet I will try to get some posted of the two leopards as well.In the meantime have you any photos of a table that I could use as a template.On the question of future housing I think it will be a good few years before they are too big for indoors, I think when that time comes I will have become too old myself and will have passed them on to my grandchildren,who love them as much as we do.Please keep all your advice coming so I can print it off for future reference.:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users