Awake for 2 hours a day

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tommy_*

Guest_tommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:24 PM

Hi

I have recently had some great advice from you guys about housing my med spur thighed tortoise tommy!

He was unfortunately living in a viv but after joining the forum i managed to do some research and have made him a great tortoise table!

It has a hot and cool end. The temp is 90 in hot and 70 in cold i have uv light and basking light set up. I use half top soil half play sand i have tried to make it interesting for him by putting slates in there logs, plant pots, stones, he has a little house in there which he seems to like the most because he likes to sleep all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His lights get turned on at 8am, he wakes up about 9.30am he will warm up under his light then eat some food ( weeds,weeds and more weeds!). Then he will have a wander around for about 2 hrs then go back in his house and stay there all day!

I am a bit worried really why he is not awake for longer periods, when he was in his viv, at the beginning he would wake up, have food then go back to sleep but then wake again later on in the day.

Any one have any ideas on why he might like to spend the majority of the day sleeping? is he just a lazy bones!!

He is 5 months old.

Thanx Kelly x

#2 Guest_tanya_*

Guest_tanya_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

hi i have an african spur thigh he is 6 months and he does the same i think its normal

#3 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:43 PM

maz
Hi Tanya, When I first got my leopards they were quite young and they slept for most of the day, maybe its because they are still babies, if they are feeding ok and dont pass poo that is too sloppy they should be ok,if you are at all worried you could always visit your vet.:)

#4 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:22 PM

Hi Kelly,

Two things occur to me:
1. Is your tortoise imported? What does it give as country of origin on his certificate? If he is imported (and he almost certainly will be if you got him from a pet shop), then you should probably take a sample of his poo to a vet and ask it to be analysed for worms and protozoa. This can make them sluggish.

2. Has he been outdoors yet? My horsfield is outdoors all day now, but on days when it's cold and rainy I keep him in and he sleeps a lot, out of boredom I think.

Don't know if this helps, but do let us know how he is getting on.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#5 Guest_tommy_*

Guest_tommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

Hi there

Thanks for your replys. Feel a bit better just thought that he should really be awake more, surely.

Nina thanks for replying on his certificate it says country of origin UK Thank god!, i had him from a local breeder. His poo looks ok but i think i might take him to the vet, apparently we have a great tortoise vet called Lance ( cant remember his last name) which is 7 miles from my house and is there on a friday, so i might take a trip there just to get him checked, shall i bring a sample with me?

He hasnt been outdoors yet and typical the rain has started again, on the next nice day ill try that.

I was wondering if he is bored but i can't really do much about that, can i?

Thanks Kelly x

#6 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:29 PM

Hi Kelly,
I'm not sure if anyone else finds this, but when I feed my young torts early in the day, they seemed to act like they have got what they wanted and are lazy the rest of the day.
I may be wrong, but i think in the wild once they have found their food, they head for shelter from predators etc...
I know its not possible for some people, but I try to feed mine at about 12 o clock the earliest :-) :-) This keeps them active in the mornings, and semi-active in the afternoons.
Hope this helps a little :)
Jo x

#7 Guest_tommy_*

Guest_tommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:38 PM

Hi Jo

Thanx for that it actually makes sense i'm going to try that. How long do your tortoises stay awake in the day then? i'll let you know how i get on.

Kelly x

#8 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

No worries :-)
Mine stay awake most of the day until they are fed. They do have short naps, but not for more than half an hour. They occationally have a day with no food, they tend to give up hunting for food around 4 oclock, and go straight to their hides until the next day.
Although my torts will be two in July and August, so will probably be more active than yours in the daytime.
Jo x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users