- - - - -

Cant decide

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ivyboo1108_*

Guest_ivyboo1108_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:06 PM

I am going to get a new tort soon and I cant decide which kind to get. I am between a leopard and a sulcata. Any info or input about them? Also any suggestions on breeders or where to get one? I would like one of each but they cant be together, right?
Thanks!
Stephanie

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:47 PM

Hi stephanie

No unfortunatley cannot be mixed.

Although both species grow to be very large the sulcata is the largest by far. My friend has 2 sulcatas and the 6yr old male is about 2ft by 1ft.

I know watching her struglles that these animals are very difficult to keep in this country. They are prone to runny nose because obviously the temps are not as high as they would be in the wild. She has tried various different subtrates to prevent RNS and keep the tort happy but he still has recurring RNS. His bedroom has a dehumidifer to try and get rid of the mositure in the room but still cannot imitate the habitat they come from.

Remember these torts do not hibernate so they would have to have adequate housing through the winter months and as they grow bigger their space needs to match.

They eat a lot of grasses and weeds. I think there is a website called sulcata station. If you need to ask any advice from my friend who has the sulcatas follow the link below my name and on the contacts on the website look at dawn

#3 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:36 PM

Hi Stephanie,
Jade is right about not mixing the two species,if you look at my post about viv or table Helen has sent some good advice on keeping leopards,Hope you decide soon and keep us all posted.:-)

Maz:)

#4 Guest_ivyboo1108_*

Guest_ivyboo1108_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:15 AM

I am going to but a leopard tomorrow so if anyone has any suggestions on keeping them. Let me know. I would like to know the best substrate to use and just some other tips maybe for keeping my tort healthy.

#5 Guest_leggy_*

Guest_leggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:20 PM

Leapards are very prone to RNS. Where are you getting it from. You will need an open enclosure.I would use a hemp substrate.Thay dont like damp but every so often give a warm spray of water to mimick rainfall and encourge feeding.If this is a baby a warm bath daily would be great:-) Leapards eat a mainly grass diat with weed ie plaintain dandilion goosgrass. There are a lot of leopard keepers on shelld warriors

#6 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:39 PM

Hi Stephanie, great to hear you'll be getting a leopard :-) :-)
However, it might be advisable to do a bit more research on them before you get the little guy/gal :-)
Leggy is right, there are some leopard keepers on www.shelledwarriors.co.uk they'd be more than happy to give you some great advise!
Good luck :-)
Jo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users