Funny coloured fluid

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sarahlee110_*

Guest_sarahlee110_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:28 AM

Hi everyone.

This morning i had my tortoise Sheldon out on the floor and he was busy wandering round on the exploring. I then noticed he'd had a poo, then another...then another, fairly big as well really. After cleaning up, i came back to him and behind him there was a little puddle of reddy coloured fluid and i little piece of congealed creamy looking stuff as well, sorta of like when they have a wee, but it was creamy coloured, not white.

I've never noticed this before, so am totally baffled and worried really. Over the past few weeks, he has been outside eating grass, dandelions,etc nearly every day and to be honest, he has never been happier or more active. I've also given him some broccoli and cabbage leaves and few bits of lettuce in between times, but nothing out of the ordinary.

If anyone can help me or if they've seen this before i'd really appreciate any help you can offer, as i'm totally stumped!

Thanks everyone!

Sarah xxx

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:15 PM

Hi Sarah

I'm not sure why it should be a reddy colour. The creamy stuff is urates - this is totally normal. As long as it is quite runny then your tort is hydrated.

i would get rid of broccoli, cabbage and all lettuce unless oetime romaine or cos, as this doesnt help the tort. The broccoli and cabbage are particualy bad for torts.

just keep bathing your little chap to keep him hydrated and stick t the weeds :D

#3 Guest_sarahlee110_*

Guest_sarahlee110_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply. I was thinking to that in the bag of lettuce i was feeding him from, there were some red lettuce leaves, so i wonder if perhaps this may have caused it?!

Anyhow, i'll take your advice and keep him off the broccoli/cabbage leaves, like i said ever since he's been outside eating grass etc he's been so active and full of life.

I only got him last December and he hadn't been hibernated, so over the Winter he's been pretty slow and very lethargic, i didn't realise just how much until i've seen just how active he can be.

I do wonder if ought to hibernate this coming Winter, but a lot of people have advised against it saying he's too young. Is this true? He was hatched in 2005 and a few months ago he was a bit ill. I know this is totally off the subject but its something i'd be interested to know.

Thanks again.

Sarah xxx

#4 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 04:40 PM

torts hibernate in the wild only a couple of months after they are born so... i know people dont tend to hibernate them when they are a couple of months old - although some do - but a yr old is fine. they just have a shorter time to empty their tums.

keep a check on the torts weight over the yr - maybe every couple of weeks, when ti gets to august see how it fairs on the jackson ratio to whether it is sfe to hiberate or not this yr :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users