- - - - -

leopard tortoise might be dead

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dave gill_*

Guest_dave gill_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

hi, i bought a leopard tortoise 2 weeks ago from my local pet shop, av fed him like they told me and bathed him like they told me evry day, but last night wen i was goin to bed he was makin sum odd noises, n he hasnt moved all day, he's just in his shell and wont come out ... how can i tell if he's dead or just sleeping?

#2 Guest_leggy_*

Guest_leggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:56 PM

Thats so sad. Try a light spray of warm water this should rouse him if he is alive. If nothing happens pick him up and turn him over his front legs should move. If all els fails try applying light pressure to front foot. I do hope he's ok if he wakes please take him for a vet check as pet shope torts are often ill

#3 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:58 PM

Hi Dave,
Does he move his head/limbs when you pick him up?
I'm sorry I really don't know what advice to give, maybe try giving him a shallow lukewarm bath to see if you get any response.
Jo x

#4 Guest_dave gill_*

Guest_dave gill_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:11 PM

av tried these things thanks, but he still isnt waking up, am just gunna sit here for a bit in the hope that he does

#5 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:34 AM

Hi dave,

sorry to say it doesnt sound good for your little one
you need to put him in a warm bath straight away.

Touching his arms and legs should provoke an immediate reflex reaction from the tort and if this fails to happen im afraid it is bad news.

Bathe him, keep him warm, leave his heat lamp on over night by all means - and get him to a vet straight away.

#6 Guest_Jo_1984_*

Guest_Jo_1984_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

Hi Dave,
How is the little guy today?
If he has passed away, please do not accept another replacement tortoise as this one will more than likely be sick too.
Don't blame yourself for what has happend also, as he was sick way before you got him, more than likely due to stress and environmental conditions through importation and life in a vivarium in the pet shop.
Jo x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users