IVE HAD A NEW TORTOISE AND DONT WANA HIBERNATE IT WILL IT BE OK AS MY

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lloyd_*

Guest_lloyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

l.marsh
I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A HORSFIELD TORTOISE AND I HVAE A HERMAN ASWELL AND I DONT HIBERNATE HIM AS HE IS OK AS NEVER HAS BIN WILL THIS BE THE SAME CASE FOR MY NEW HORSFIELD????? AS I GOT TOLD THAT THEY DONT NED HIBERNATING ANY WAY IS THIS TRUE I DONT LIKE THEM TO HIBERNATE AS I HERE THEY CAN DIE

#2 Guest_luckyuk_*

Guest_luckyuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:36 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-05-07 AT 00:46 AM (GMT)]Horsfields do hibenate but i would suggest a pre-hibenation checkup at the vets if you have concerns.
The tortoise trust site is great for info i suggest you have a really good read on all of their pages as they are the true experts.
most of the people that come to this forum have to forget the pet shop advise and start again.
What do you mean by here they can die ???
http://www.tortoiset.../horsfield.html
Sarah
p.s The tortiose trust also do an excellent tortiose care on-line course for 35

#3 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:23 AM

When i got my first 2 hermanns, i was told: keep them in a viv, feed them fruit and vegetable and dont hibernate if you dont want to its not necessary.

Attached is how my poor hermann sam turned out after 6yrs of this :(

even tho i was told this by the pet shop i now feel incredibly guilty that i have been the cause of mbd for my tortoise. Luckily sams organs are doing well (they can usually be crushed in thsi sort of condition - being so flat).

Sam has now been on a weed diet, out the viv and in the garden for the last 2yrs. Although she cannot hibernate as long as my other torts because of her unusual size she does now hibernate and feels a lot better for it im sure.

The group i am on the commitee for (link by name) was set up partly for this reason. To educate people about the correct husbandry for tortoises. Please feel free to browse it as well as looking at the tortoise trust site.

You have to think about what the torts do in the wild. in the wild they will hibernate only months after hatching. some people dont like to do it this early, but certianly after the first yr there is no reason (if they are a good weight on the jacksons) that they should not be hibernating.

Sorry if it sounds preachy but after the mistakes ive made i dont want other torts to go through it - because the pet shops say so

#4 Guest_lloyd_*

Guest_lloyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:02 AM

l.marsh
i cant put mine in garden as it is oo cold where i am yet they will be out in summer but the viv is best thing ive found they happy my vuivs r 4 foot by 2 and a half foot and 2 foot high nice and big for em out side they freeze and die and hibernating if not dun rate can cause in death so i dontr bother thanks lloyd

#5 Guest_lloyd_*

Guest_lloyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:20 AM

l.marsh
i cant put mine in garden as it is oo cold where i am yet they will be out in summer but the viv is best thing ive found they happy my vuivs r 4 foot by 2 and a half foot and 2 foot high nice and big for em out side they freeze and die and hibernating if not dun rate can cause in death so i dontr bother thanks lloyd

l.marsh
p.s u torts shell looks unhealthy??

#6 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:33 AM

yes i know

that is the point i am trying to make!

this is what happens if u follow pet shop advice and keep torts in a viv!, feed fruit and veg and DON'T hibernate them!!

Therefore is best to get them out of a viv, feed weeds only and hibernate if they are healthy

#7 Guest_lloyd_*

Guest_lloyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:00 PM

l.marsh
mines bin in viv for 2 years and is healthey and loves it tort tables are just cheap and tacky version of vivs so get ya money out and but ur tort a descent home where it canb live haoppy

#8 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:52 PM

Well obviously the money was out as i had a viv in the first place!

Secondly, why have you even bothered to come on this site. You either don't give a damn about your tort or you don't even have one and you have just come on here to p*ss people off and give crap info to poor new tortoise owners who are trying to seek GOOD advice, which they are certainly not getting from you!!

#9 Guest_lloyd_*

Guest_lloyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

l.marsh
look tort tables vivs all same but u will all have slower lifless tortoises in tort tavbles do u even let ur tortoise out???? must get borred in tort table all life like a pair of socks

#10 Guest_leggy_*

Guest_leggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 10:59 PM

I have 4 tort 2 stars 2 hemanns all in tort tables. My hemanns have a nice large outdoor space. My hermanns indoore enclosure is 5ft by 3ft. I will hybernate my hermanns as i wont them to be healthy. How do you expect to house you'r torts as thay grow.Also if you dont think you can cope with hibernating a tort why did you get it why dident you get a non hybernating tort. Sorry but i think you should look in to the way you keep them and care for them. Also please dont let them mix ive experianced the effects of this treatment and it is not nice:(

#11 Guest_lloyd_*

Guest_lloyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:41 PM

l.marsh
nothing happends ive had thisa checked out my local pet shop mixes themand he says hes had his 10 yrs and they fine??? what the biggy over itthey grow hair and need glasses or what??

#12 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:57 PM

oh well a pet shop told you it was ok, well it must be right then, cos god knows we all know how good pet shops are with tortoises!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users