New Owner

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_shelby 25_*

Guest_shelby 25_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

Hi
I have just become the proud owner of a Horsefield Tortoise. He was bought from a dealer. He has a tortoise table which was also bought from the dealer. It has 2 light brakets for which the dealer supplied 2 x 60 watt bulbs. He has all hemp bedding at the moment but I intend buying some soil and sand tommorow. Ok sorry but I have a few question as despite reading some really good info I am still a little confused and really want my little Herman to be happy.

1/ Do I need a uvb light and if so would it be ok for me to replace one of the 60 watt bulbs for one and to increase the wattage of the other bulb to 100 watts? I already think that the two lights are two much as they both face in diff directions so no real heat varience if that makes sence!
2/I have not yet bathed him, we got him yesturday and after he ate he baried himself in the hemp and promptly feel to sleep, is this normal and should I wake him to bath him?
3/ He seems to be eating ok, he had some rose leaves yesturday and some water cress to day, he is not eating much however about half a shell covering, could this be because I am feeding him to late (about 5)?
4/ Can anyone suggest the best way to make his enviroment as enriching as possible? I hope to put him outside soon but my garden is not the paradise I would like it tobe yet so his indoor home will need to do for a little while at least.

Sorry again for all the questions but I am so impressed by all the advice I have already gained from you all I could really do with a bit more specific stuff.
Thanks in anticipation.

Shelby :)

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:32 AM

Hi Shelby

congratulations on the new tort. Re the lights at one end or in the middle? you want them at one end. You have 2 choices. You can get a normal household spotlight for the heat lamp (under a pound) and something like a d3 compact uv bulb. The other option is to buy a 2 in one bulb like a powersun. these are more expensive but results have shown they are more effective.

How big is the table? Basically whatever wattage you get, the spot where the heat light touches the floor needs to be about 30 dgrees c, the other end of the table needs to be about 22, you probably already know, but at night, all lights go off.

My tort table has mostly soil and sand mix (about 6 inches deep). down the sleeping end i have aubiose (hemp) so that my little tort can bury himself. I also bought him a little hut for his tort table :P

Under the light i have a piece of slate and i also put his food on the slate to keep his beak trim.

I have an area with pebbles (small but not small enough that he could eat them) and sunken into the pebbles is a small water dish (plant clay saucer). altho i only put it in there if im in th ehouse as he likes to try and turn upside dow in his water bowl :P

You can also put seed trays in with weeds growing so he can nibble when he likes. (t-lady) i put upside down ceramic plant pots in to block the view a bit. I have also built small mounds in the past so they can trot up and down :P

Hope this helps. If you can pop a photo on so we can help you :)

#3 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-05-07 AT 03:03 PM (GMT)]hi shelby! i got a new tortoise a couple of days ago aswell!.
Your actually lucky that he ate because mine only ate half a lettuce leaf today, yes thats a normal amount to eat (because they only have small stomachs).
if he fell asleep straight away, thats fine aswell just heat him up with a light and he should become very active.
Well thats about it, have fun with your new tortoise!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users