- - - - -

Cold tortoise Help PLEASE.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

Hi All, I recently adapted my viv to a table by removing the roof and the glass sliding doors, At one end there is a 100watt spot lamp which gets the temp upto around 85degrees and at the other cool end it gets upto around 65 to70 depending on the temp indoors. I have placed some rocks at the hot end for my two leopards to get on to warm up, the problem is that since the change Speedy the female (I think) doesn,t come out of the log at the cool end so she is always cold,today she was so cold I thought she was dead,and panicked,put her in some warm water, after around 10 minutes she slowly came around a bit, I wrapped her in a warm towel and placed her back in the table,she promptly went back in the cool log and stayed there the rest of the day.She is not eating much and never goes near the hot end.I recently had them both to the vets for worming and treatment for some parasite in the gut,after which they were fine. Do I need to worry, and is this normal behaviour. This is very different behaviour to when they were in the viv.Mikey the little male (Ithink) seems to be fine. Oh another thing.does anyone know how warm it has to be before it is ok for leopards to go outside.Please someone help a worried 57 year old.

Regards Maz
:( :(

#2 Guest_lloyd_*

Guest_lloyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:33 PM

l.marsh
keep viv i no wat ya mean peps say bad but they do coold down use to heat

#3 Guest_luckyuk_*

Guest_luckyuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:01 PM

Hi maz,
How recently did you convert the viv, perhaps its just settling in troubles. This often happens but will settle down.
Sarah

#4 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

I have private messaged you :D but as sarah says the change is probably just the problem, I'm sure the tort will be fine in a few days :D

#5 Guest_ivyboo1108_*

Guest_ivyboo1108_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:35 AM

I haven taken my leopard outside. I usually take him out if its about 70 or above. as long as the sun is out. Hopefully your tort will warm up soon. Maybe if it doesnt get warm in the next day or 2 you could put another heat bulb in and warm it up a little more. My table is about 90-95 in the warm side and about 70-75 at the cool end. Warm soaks are good too!
Hope this helps!

#6 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:24 AM

To Sarah Jade and Stephanie, many thanks for your replies it really is helpful when I get feedback like this, just one other thing what is your opinion on heatmats, I have been advised by a friend of mine to put one in, I,m not too sure on this.
Regards Maz:-)

#7 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:30 AM

no you shouldn't use heat mats as their heat in the wild comes from above them and not under them.

#8 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:49 AM

This is true wot andrew says. Torts can also get burnt by the heat mats. I have also read that with the heat underneath them it causes a build up of gases in the torts tummy and eventually leads to it exploding :(

#9 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:26 AM

no you shouldn't use heat mats as their heat in the wild comes from above them and not under them.

very good advice

#10 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:02 PM

Hi All
Thanks for your replies, am glad I did,nt go out and buy one now
Speedy still cold though, I have just had her in a warm bath and now she is eating a little, she just does,nt seem to get if she sits under the heat light she will warm up,she has,nt lost weight, though she is passing quite a lot of dark brown fluid is this normal? Mikey loves the table sunbathing on the rocks, no worries about him adapting.:)
Many regards,
Maz

#11 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

it may be what you are feeding her. veg and fruit give torts the runs. you need to feed weeds wedds and more weeds

#12 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

Andrew I never feed fruits or shop bought greens,plantains dandelions a little clover and other weeds. I learnt the hard way on diet.It isn,t her poo that is sloppy, thats fine, it,s just that she seems to be passing a lot of wee that is dark coloured:-(
Regards Maz

#13 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

have you been to a vet? im out of ideas sorry :(

#14 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

Thanks andrew, yes they both were at the vets in early april for worming and treatment for some parasite in the gut, the vet said that although Speedy was growing a little too fast they were fine ,the only thing I can do is see if she improves, it could be the change in housing but time will tell,
Regards Maz

#15 Guest_luckyuk_*

Guest_luckyuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:38 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-05-07 AT 08:42 PM (GMT)]Dark wee ??
can you tell me what the urates look like please.
sarah

#16 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:32 PM

Hi Sarah,
Couldnt get on line yesterday some problem with my provider so couldn,t reply then but for a week now Speedys wee has been very dark reddish colour which is unusual apparently, today she has,nt passed any so I am
a little more happy, she is still cold though and wont warm up on her own I have to give her warm baths to warm her up, If things dont improve over the weekend I am off to the vets with her.
A worried Maz:-(

#17 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

did everything go ok at the vets?

#18 Guest_Silver_*

Guest_Silver_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 10:35 AM

This sounds bit like my little tortoise Silver, he has taken to sleeping all the time and i have to bath him to wake him up. He's lost his appetite and his inquisitive nature. He doesnt get too cold but has just lost interest in everything but being buried in a hole.

#19 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 06:36 PM

Its very strange actually ive noticed a lot of people on this forum and others complaining of lethargic behaviour from their torts recent;y. My own actually had this problem too.

It seems most of the people complaining about this have correct temps, enclosures etc. so its very curious. i was certainly baffled as to why Sven was being such a misery guts. Anyway i thought i would try making the warm end cooler and although its not as warm as is usually recommended he got himself out of bed and was soon up and running. So i would certainly suggest that people raise their basking lights a little as a temporarly solution

#20 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

Many thanks for all your replies they were very helpful, although speedy hasn,t passed any more discoloured fluid she hasnt been herself at all, she still is very secretive and not eating much at all on the other hand mikey loves the table, he is very active and is eating like a horse. I think I am going to have a word with my vet tomorrow and see what he suggests. once again many thanks.
Regards Maz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users