u was right bout disease help so i can keep

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lloyd_*

Guest_lloyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

l.marshl.
i have just bought a hors field over a week ago and i already had a herman but people say they can catch disease is this when in enclosure together or even when roaming around the house??will they be ok in house as they have seperate tanks horsfield is 2 herman is 8 if the hors has to go i wud swap for another herman?? but hopefully they cant cach it if they not together all the time??? please give me sum advice so i can keep them both as i have grown very fond of my horse field and want to keep her sorry for ignoring all ur advice as i like to think diffrent if u havnt noticed advie to keep her please

:-( :-( p.s
i have made no spelling mistakes on this post for a change:)

#2 Guest_luckyuk_*

Guest_luckyuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

http://www.tortoiset.../horsfield.html

p.s ;-) 11 spelling mistakes ;-)

#3 Guest_luckyuk_*

Guest_luckyuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:42 PM

ive left a message on your post on the other board Lloyd.

#4 Guest_lloyd_*

Guest_lloyd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

l.marsh
im happy again had it properly checked out and my herman and my horsfield r conpatable to be ok together but not in viv together they say it mixing with leapords and stars and spurs thet cab make them sick

#5 Guest_luckyuk_*

Guest_luckyuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-05-07 AT 08:42 PM (GMT)]
l.marsh
im happy again had it properly checked out and my herman and my horsfield r conpatable to be ok together but not in viv together they say it mixing with leapords and stars and spurs thet cab make them sick

Checked out by whom, why dont you join the tortoise trust group and ask them.(The experts)
http://pets.groups.y...toisetrust/join
Another quote from the TT:

"I was told that I needed to separate different types of tortioses from one another, but other breeders say it's no problem?
[ULf Edqvist] There are several valid reasons not to mix tortoises of different species in the same enclosure. Below are the three reasons I feel are most important.

1) Many species are incompatible because of differing environmental needs. It goes without saying that the compromises one is forced to make when trying to satify the needs of, f.e. a Spurred tortoise from the arid subsaharan Africa and those of a Hingeback from the deep tropical forests of the western and central parts of the same continent, are doomed to condemn at least one, and most likely both tortoises to a slow death.

2) Maybe the most important factor that speaks against mixing different kinds of turtles and tortoises is the risk of cross infection. Chelonians naturally harbors many organisms that, while not posing any danger to the carrying animal, might be lethal to an individual of another species. This risk, according to some, is especially large when the species in question originate from different parts of the world, while the risk is said to diminish (but not disappear) if the animals in question are captive bred and raised.

3) The third reason not to mix different varieties of turtles or tortoises together is the risk of them harming each other. The breeding behaviour in many species is quite rough, involving butting, biting and ramming, and while a female of the same species is 'built' for that particular type of rough handling, a female of another species is most likely not equipped to come out of such an ordeal unharmed.

The conclusion: - Do try to avoid housing different varieties of chelonians together, the gain (in space) is simply not worth the risk of injury, disease - or even death.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users