- - - - -

Vicious Tortoise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jackie1_*

Guest_Jackie1_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 05:27 AM

I bought 2 Horsefield Torts from a local garden centre 6 weeks ago, both the same sex (I think ! No idea what- but I think they may be male) but the big one we call 'him'(100gms) is really nasty to the little one we call 'she' (80gms), especially if she is eating. They are in a viv with the glass front taken off (i know they shouldn't be, but I was conned as are lots of people). They also go in the outdoor run whenever possible as I work from home. He is especially vicious in the run and chases her round biting her head and she now has a sore eye. She was just beginning to get more active in her new home but is hiding more now. What do i do ?

#2 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 06:11 AM

the smaller one would be a male and bigger one the female so it is probably a territorial thing. just keep them apart for a little bit while they explore.

#3 Guest_Jackie1_*

Guest_Jackie1_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for quick reply ! It will be fun keeping them apart !!! Also I noticed it is possible to overfeed, the big one can eat for England, does that mean that the outdoor run cannot be on grass as he just keeps eating then sleeping then eating again !! His shell is a little bumpy which I hadn't noticed till I came on this site.

#4 Guest_luckyuk_*

Guest_luckyuk_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:27 AM

Thanks for quick reply ! It will be fun keeping them apart !!! Also I noticed it is possible to overfeed, the big one can eat for England, does that mean that the outdoor run cannot be on grass as he just keeps eating then sleeping then eating again !! His shell is a little bumpy which I hadn't noticed till I came on this site.

hi,
horsfields have peak eating months as in the wild food is abundent in some months and scarce in others. so dont worry too much but regulate while you torts food when they are in doors(in bad weather).
Youll also notice that they will have lazy cant be bothered, sleepy times thats ok too they are just replicating nature. eating when food would be abundent and conserving engery when there would usually be less food.
http://www.tortoiset...russiantort.htm

Sarah

#5 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:41 AM

they are not necesarily male and female. They could both be male its just the one biting is the more dominant/ Is it poss you can post pics on here of the underside of them :)

As andrew said you will have to keep them apart. Have you taken 'she' to the vets to have a look at her eye? I would do that jus tot check there is no infection.

If they are male and female you will need a few more females (usually ratio 1:3 or more) to keep 'him' from attacking just one.

#6 Guest_Jackie1_*

Guest_Jackie1_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:28 AM

Hi,
I have tried to post pics on but can't seem to do it !
I'm certain they are both same sex as I can hardley tell which is Dylan (him) and which is Florence (her) on the pics I have taken ! They both have tails about 1 cm long (ish)
I thought I was doing the right thing getting 2 for company for each other but it seems I was wrong ! Will they ever be able to live together without fighting or will I have to let 1 go ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users