- - - - -

Im a newbie with lots of questions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tori_*

Guest_Tori_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:55 PM

Hi! This looked a nice site, so I thought I'd say hi.
I have a very old tortoise. My vet thinks maybe even over 60. I don't know what kind he is, but I am going to take pics so maybe someone could tell me. It sounds awful having him so long and not knowing his breed, but I love him as a pet, and part of the family, and had no need to breed him, so I never enquired.
I have had him for 25 years. I don't think he is a Hermann, as he is a very dark brown. Maybe this is just age? Are they that light colour just while they are up to 10 years or so maybe?
I never hibernate him now. I did for the first few years, but he got so upset I could'nt bear it any longer, he now digs under the shed every year, and comes out when he's happy. He eats really well, a mixture of grass and weeds, and treats, strawberries are his favourite, he poo's all over my lawn ;-) is friendly, and generally seems really happy. Last summer I noticed that he was racing up and down the garden more, and my vet thinks he may be looking for a friend? I'm assuming he meant of the opposite sex? I don't really want to breed from him, although I'm sure it would be fab, and if I got another tortoise, I'd like an older one for him to keep company with, that was used to the outdoors. Or maybe fins someone local to me, who maybe wanted babies, and my Tommy could, well, come out to play with? What do you suggest? I would like another tortoise for him to be with, btu as I said, one that was a bit older. I must get pics done so someone can tell me what breed, and maybe how old he is. Any ideas woudl be appreciated, and also if I'm doing the right thing leaving him out all the time. Thanks!

#2 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 03:34 PM

Hi Tori,

I'd love to see pictures of your tortoise - he sounds wonderful! I always think that it's a great honour to be the keeper of an old tortoise. I don't know why he was racing up and down the garden more than usual last summer, but it might have been during some really hot spells we had. As far as getting him a friend, I think I'd be very wary of that. In nature tortoises are pretty solitary creatures, coming together only to mate, and although lots of people keep multiple tortoises together, there is always the chance that they wouldn't get on well together and you'd have to have separate enclosures for them (although with the run of the whole garden and plenty of hiding places, this probably wouldn't be necessary. The other thing is size: if you got a tortoise that was a lot smaller than yours, there is the possibility that your tort could damage the smaller one.

If you do decide to get another tortoise, it must be of the same species, as you cannot keep two different species together (and you shouldn't even keep members of two different sub-species together). Also, if you get another tortoise you will have to quarantine it for at least four or five months (preferably longer) to ensure that the new tortoise does not have any illness that he could pass on to your tortoise.

All in all I'd say that your tort seems happy with his life, and although he might welcome a new friend, he also might not, so it's a it of a risk.

Do post some pictures of him (one looking down at the top of his shell, one of his underside - preferably taken from the tail end and showing the tail), and we'll identify him for you. He might well be a greek spur-thigh, as I think they were very common as garden tortoises many years ago.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#3 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

hi tori, nice to know you have a great tortoise, i myself have a male hermann tortoise (7 years old). he is great. by the way i live down the road to you :P. im from chelmsford

#4 Guest_Tori_*

Guest_Tori_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:52 PM

Ahh! Not far at all! I'm thinking maybe I'll make an assault course for my tortoise :7 He might have more to do, and it will make him happier, and he won't be pacing up and down the garden. Our garden is quite big, I'm sure he can't be that bored! Do they have long memories do you think? Not like goldfish, that always think they are somewhere new? I'm rambling now...

#5 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

ok, make sure you don't make anything too high for him lol, might fall off. are you near colchester castle?

#6 Guest_Tori_*

Guest_Tori_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:15 PM

I'm not right in the town centre no, I'm in a village just outside :)

#7 Guest_Tori_*

Guest_Tori_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:54 PM

I now have pics of my tortoise. I don't knwo how to post, but could email them to someone? Thanks!

#8 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:46 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-05-07 AT 04:47 PM (GMT)]hi, if you go on this site...http://photobucket.com/, you can upload the images and copy and paste a html code onto this site and it will appear.

#9 Guest_Tori_*

Guest_Tori_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:39 AM

A kind person identified him for me. He's a spur thigh! :) He is very old too. Possibly even being 85 ish. Wow! I'm goign to get him a real treat for his lunch today to celebrate his new identity! :)

Here he is!!

[link=http://fazer-mania.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10100/DSC00005%5B1%5D.JPG][img alt= (Click for full size original)]http://fazer-mania.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10100/normal_DSC00005%5B1%5D.JPG[/img][/link]

#10 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:11 AM

what a beast

#11 Guest_Tori_*

Guest_Tori_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:12 PM

lol he is starting to look a little weathered, but he still flies around like a young thing. His shell looks really dirty as he had been digging. Again!

#12 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:43 PM

that's nothing, at least you have been looking after him. ive seen a massive leopard tortoise on this forum, it looks dreadful. ive posted my new tortoise enclosure pics on hermann forum

#13 Guest_Tori_*

Guest_Tori_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:39 PM

Aw thanks. On sunny days he likes to sit in a washing up bowl while i clean him with a toothbrush! I don't want to do it this w/e as it's going to be wet. I'll wait for a nice sunny day.
I think your enclosure looks fab by the way!

#14 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:07 PM

lol, it actually looks quite cool doesn't it, we put so much effort into it it was unreal, hence the 8 hour time it took. do you have an outdoor enclosure?

#15 Guest_Tori_*

Guest_Tori_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

Nope :( The garden is secure, so Tommy roams where he wants! It's a big garden, so I did'nt see the point of an enclosure. 25 years ago, I think tortoises were a little easier to come by I think, so people just shoved them in the garden, and left them to their own devices. A little sad I know, but Tommy was a pet as a child, and lived his life in the garden. Now he is a little more spoilt in his later years!

#16 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:25 PM

ahh thats great, we wernt even planning to make an enclosure this morning but i decided to cut the lawn and go out and get some stuff and had excellent results. your tortoise has a lot more than i saw earlier!! i went into pets etcetera in chelmsford town centre and i saw a baby hermann 100F (35oC) heat with no ventilation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users