- - - - -

Does anyone have a really old tortoise

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tori_*

Guest_Tori_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

I just wondered if anyone had any experiences with a really old tortoise? I'd be interested in comparing notes. I have a spur thigh at about 85 years old. I'm sure if mine could speak he'd say.... 'during the war'... LOL

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:27 AM

Hi

I have 3 spur thigh iberas who are at least 70+ yrs old. They are beautiful animals. I waste so much time just lying and watching them wander round the garden :P

#3 Guest_tuesdaysgone_*

Guest_tuesdaysgone_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hiya,

We have a spur thigh that we've been told is '80 years plus'. We were given her a few years ago and I feel the same as you. It makes you wonder what they've seen and where they've been etc!

Vee x

#4 Guest_Flash Herman_*

Guest_Flash Herman_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:44 PM

I have an (approx) 80 year old Ibera. I just collected her today!
She is beautiful. I'd love to compare notes when I've got to know her a bit better.

EJ

#5 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:54 PM

Hi EJ

they are so amazing especially at that age. They have such brilliant personalities :D all ages do i know but there is something special about the older ones :P

#6 Guest_Flash Herman_*

Guest_Flash Herman_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:09 AM

You are right! I feel somewhat privileged to be responsible for something as old as my Grandma. It is like caring for a priceless antique with a bit of cantakerous old lady thrown in!

"Lucky Lady" is coming out of her shell a bit now (quite literally), and I hope she gets used to us. It is quite a change from her former home which was fairly quiet as we have children and there is always something noisy going on. I can only imagine how much there must be to cope with when you have lived the exact same life for 30 years and then everything changes. She seems to be taking it in her stride, though just a bit nervous (aren't torts amazing!).

I am looking forward to when she has really settled in and feels she can trust us completely. This could take a while though and we are working on it!

EJ

#7 Guest_tanya_*

Guest_tanya_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

hi my spur thigh is not old hes only 8 mnths bt is it possible to see some pics of these old torts that wuld be great thanx.

#8 Guest_Tori_*

Guest_Tori_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:55 PM

Hi tanya, if you look on this thread

http://www.hermann-t...umID23/413.html

You can see a pic of my Tommy :)

#9 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:11 PM

Here is a pic of one of my elderly torts :) she is 70+ and a real beauty :D

#10 Guest_Flash Herman_*

Guest_Flash Herman_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:01 AM

She is lovely Jade. Here is my Lucy enjoying the sunshine:

#11 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:19 AM

Hi,
My sister-in-law has a med spur thigh thats getting on a bit. His age can't be verified, but he is thought to be around 110yrs. He has a few patches in his shell that look as if he got out and repaired it with Polyfilla! He's still very mobile & alert and will come trotting up to the edge of the enclosure when someone comes to see him. He does like a bit of fuss & a stoke of his head & tickle under the chin. I suppose he would say 'during the Crimea....'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users