- - - - -

2 breeds together

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tanya_*

Guest_tanya_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

hi ive just been given a horsefield and already have an african spur thigh. is it ok to keep them together cos ive heard something about deseases?

#2 Guest_Flash Herman_*

Guest_Flash Herman_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:13 PM

Definitely not. Each specific breed carries their own germs, which are harmless to them, but could be very dangerous to another type of tortoise. You should never keep different types together for this reason, and should quarantine for 6 months any new tortoise of the same type before putting with your others.

Have you got an African Spurred tortoise (sulcata) or a spur-thighed tortoise that comes from North Africa? the difference is huge, both in terms of diet, environment, growth and hibernation. You could post some photos and people on the forum can identify it for you.

hope this helps,

EJ

#3 Guest_Gixer12_*

Guest_Gixer12_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

I don't give much credence to the pathogens rubbish.

Quarantine is the key.

Do not get hung up on the rubbish tortoise mentality. 99% of all answers are from the same people reading the same books and posting on the same forums.

Keep them together but monitor behavior. Butting, aggression and cross breeding are the main issue.

Cheers

Gix

#4 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:14 PM

i would have to disagree on the "pathogen rubbish" comment

and definitely do not recommend keeping them together until they have been quarentined.

#5 Guest_tanya_*

Guest_tanya_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:28 PM

hi my tort is definatly a sulcata and im not going to keep the horsefield, thanx for your advice.

#6 Guest_Flash Herman_*

Guest_Flash Herman_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:28 AM

The experts advise not to keep different breeds together for reasons of "pathogens". I am certainly not qualified to question this. Are you Gix?

EJ

#7 Guest_funkyzebra_*

Guest_funkyzebra_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:52 AM

I personally wouldnt take the chance of my torts becoming ill or getting injured your their sakes and from an owners point of view imagine the heartbreak and vets bills.
sarah

#8 Guest_Gixer12_*

Guest_Gixer12_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:51 AM

EJ, The answer is yes.

I challenge most things I do. I read & learn and then make my own way in what ever I do in life.

The tortoise world unfortunately has a "you must do it this way" culture which if not followed you are ostracized. I choose to push things a little further.

I am not saying what is printed and posted is wrong but if you read tortoise books from as little as 15 years ago you will be shocked by the husbandry methods recommended. Will we be shocked looking back in 15 years from now?

As I seem to be at odds with people on my opinions I will be more selective in how I reply in future, if at all. I look forward to posting the following classics "I can't answer your question but I am sure someone who can will be along soon" and the "It’s lovely"

The Gixer has left the building…

#9 Guest_Flash Herman_*

Guest_Flash Herman_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:19 AM

"The Gixer has left the building..."

I love a grand exit. I'm not sure if we should celebrate or not - I love a good debate, however, I think courtesy has to be the basic ground rule. There is no need to ridicule others. Difference of opinion is fine, but we should bear in mind the current advice, since it has been learned from the mistakes of 15 years (and more) ago.

If you've left the building, Gixer, that means I get the last word!

(If you come back, then you have risen to the bait! What a dilemma)

EJ

#10 Guest_Gixer12_*

Guest_Gixer12_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

Posted by EJ on another forum.

Question: can you keep 2 breeds together.

EJ quote "They can be kept together considering their requirements are very similar. There can sometimes be a problem is you have an agressive sulcata. Also, the Leopard tends to grow slower than the Sulcata given the same conditions so if enough space is not provided you can run into a problem.

As far as pathogens go, the risks are no greater in this case than if you were keeping two of the same species together.

Many keepers have kept the two species together very successfully for many years. There are even reports of them inter breeding on occasion.

So you are a total moron who is contradicting yourself and posting rubbish across many forums. Maybe you should stick to writing books about keeping Leopards in appalling conditions.

Maybe you might be sober when considering your reply!!!

#11 Guest_Flash Herman_*

Guest_Flash Herman_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:51 AM

LOL!! This really had me in stitches.

I am afraid that that EJ is not me. If you look carefully, you will see that he is in Atlanta, Georgia. I am a UK tort keeper and do not subscibe to his point of view either. I also have no experience of keeping Sulcatas or Leopards, nor have I written any books on the subject.

I do like the odd drink but only occasionally!

Thanks for the moron comment (so mature) and for posting a response (I was waiting!). Nice to see you are contributing to the forum.

All the best

;-)

EJ (the sober one)

#12 Guest_Gixer12_*

Guest_Gixer12_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:11 PM

LOL.

I was just a little too quick there! Red mist descended when I read the contradiction on the other site.

Apologies, you carry on your great work.

}>

#13 Guest_Flash Herman_*

Guest_Flash Herman_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:27 PM

Apology accepted!

Can we all be nice to each other now?:-)

This is a great forum if you give us a chance Gix. Everyone on the whole is polite and tries to be as helpful as possible. We are all in it for the same reasons after all. I hope you will stick around and keep us on our toes.

Regards,

EJ (sozzling back the grog like a good-un! lol)

#14 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:09 AM

May I join your jolly debacle?
Personally I would listen to any advise, although I wouldn't necesserily act on it. But I would certainly take the advice from the Tortoise Trust site. They may not have all the right answers, yet, but I'm sure they are getting there. Certainly question their advice, if your experience leads you to believe they are not quite right. I'm sure they would appreciate any useful input. But always be prepared to bow down to those whose supperior knowledge has been gained by experience & study.
Confucius he say..... far too much!!!
:+
As for the drink, if you're buying, I'll have a Guiness please.:9

#15 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

lol i never saw this thread before really made me chuckle. Especially the random "stay sober" comment by Gix until i read into it and realised what had happened. Apparently us tort enthusiasts do like a wee tipple at times lol.

Think your right Pies. Its important to consider all types of advice. Even if your sure its wrong. For example those who are told to use vivs by pet shops, and to feed their herman fruit and veg. Then they come on here and we tell them the opposite. Its about considering different opinions and making your own decision about what is best for your tort.

Unfortunately we learn the best lessons ourselves and not from others. If you want to learn lessons second hand it becomes a trust issue. I had a fall out a few days ago with someone who insisted on feeding their tort tomatoes and carrots on the odd occasion because they believed that Carotene was essential to a torts diet and obviously the above foods contain it. He didnt care that neither tomatoes or carrots were native to the environment his tortoise originated from. He said that his tort was attracted to tomatoes and carrots because of the colour, and that he reasoned they must be good for him

*sigh*

G&T please!!

#16 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:59 PM

I read somewhere that carrot can help torts infected by worms. My vet said 'poppy-cock' or words to that effect. I tend to agree with him.

Would that be a double G&T or perhaps you might consider a Bloody Mary.

Opps, don't mention the tomatoes!

#17 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:31 AM

a single will suffice its only 10.30 in the morning lol.

what happened with tomatoes?

#18 Guest_pies_*

Guest_pies_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:02 PM

Apparently they just give you the pip!!!:-)

Sorry about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users