- - - - -

collecting my african spur thighed tortie tomoro woohoo

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sarahlou_*

Guest_sarahlou_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:39 PM

hi everyone,ive been browsing this site for months now as ive always wanted a tortoise since a small child, im 25yrs old and feel my time has come for a tortie.
Ive been looking at hermans but wile looking i came across an add for a 9mth tortie but when i Phoned up he had been reserved. i got a call to say the new owner never showed up,but found out he was a african spur thighed tortie.
I looked the species up on net to find they are a large beed but i wasnt put off as i have a fairly big garden for when he out grows his viv.
I know vivs arnt ideal but for a few weeks im hoping it will be fine as thats wat the current owner is using.
will a tortie table be ok for an african spur?
his current owners are using a heat pad in his viv ,should i carry on using it or remove it as ive heared there not ideal?
im due to collect him/her tommoro. the girl recons hes male but i didnt think you could tell when there only 9mths old??
just had to share my news .
:-)

#2 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:07 PM

Hi Sarahlou,

I know you're excited about getting your tortoise, but I think maybe you should reconsider this. Afrian spur tortoises (Sulcatas) get huge! And they don't hibernate, so you have to have a very large indoor space that is heated for them all winter. Please look at this picture of a baby African Spur and a young adult.
http://africantortoi...?g2_itemId=1507
They weigh several hundred pounds when they are adults and the poos are huge too. They can easily push down a wooden fence, and you would have to have strong brick or concrete walls to keep him in. There is a little test you can take to see if you are ready to raise a Sulcata. Please look at it:
http://www.turtlehom.../usa/test.shtml
Please don't think I'm being hard on you, and I'm sure you will give a tortoise a good home, but so many people get sulcatas and then in a couple of years find out that they can't cope with them and then they have to be re-homed, which is heartbreaking.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#3 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

Hi again,

Just to double check. There are two species of tortoises whose names get confused sometimes. Spur thigh tortoises (testudo graeca ibera) are mediterranean tortoises and grow to a good size - larger than hermanns -- but not huge. African spur tortoises (sulcata) are the huge ones. Maybe the tort you are being offered is a spur-thigh (ibera).

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#4 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

Just to add to what Nina has said

My friend has rescued 2 of these beautiful creatures. However, her electricity bills are horrendous. She has had to have her garage converted and totally insulated. It has 2 heat lamps on and a de-humidifier to keep the humidity down to the level that is suitable. As these torts are prone to RNS (runny nose syndrome)in this country there are numerous vet bills for antibiotics treatment.

#5 Guest_sarahlou_*

Guest_sarahlou_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:56 PM

thanks for replying,im not rearly concerned about the tortie getting big and needing to be indoors as during the colder months the heating in my house is on pretty much constent so is rearly warm.
what age do they get to big were they can no longer live in a viv/tortie table?

would a spare room thats kept warm be sutible living conditions for a tort?
there would be adiquate lighting and heating set up for him in there if needed.

im not 100% sure wat his breed is as i thought he was a herman but upon phoning up i was told he was actually an african spur thighed tortie bred in bristol uk.
i did originally want a herman but came accross this little guy.

how much would you expect to pay for a 9mth african spur thighed tortoise?

im paying 150 and thats including his viv/lights ect.
is that good?

#6 Guest_funkyzebra_*

Guest_funkyzebra_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:50 AM

Hi sarahlou, (Hey thats my name too.lol)
I would double check the breed before hand to know for sure what your taking on in advance. Do you mean viv as in glass enclosure?
If so i would either not bothering to take it home in the first place or find somewhere to store it and sell it as vivs are not recommended for torts.
By the way are you sure the tort is from a breeder as it is unknown for a breeder to supply a viv or even recommend one. ;-)
Sarah

#7 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:04 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-06-07 AT 03:07 AM (GMT)]i have to agree with sarah here (funkyzebra) its very unusual for a "breeder" to sell you a vivarium? (vivs are AWFUL) And this person thinks they can sex a tortoise at 9 months old? Sounds VERY dodgy to me

p.s if you DO pick up this tortoise which i seriously recommend you reconsider dump the viv and the heat mat.

#8 Guest_sarahlou_*

Guest_sarahlou_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:55 PM

hi just collected him/her. the owner wasnt the breeder she bought him from a pet shop,i know i should of known better but i couldnt resist.
he is very sweet and tiny,im yet to weigh him or measure him as i only brought him home bout 30mins ago. the lady said she thought he was a boy because of his bottom end being a certain shape. i was under the impression you couldnt tell till over a certain size??
on his certificate it states
coutry of origin : united kingdom
description one live unmarked tortoise with a pastrol lenghth of less than 100mm.hatched july 06.
scientific name: testudo graeca
comon name of speces: spur thighed tortoise
does his certificate sound rite?

the lady/girl who i got him off had been feeding him on salad which is wat she was instructed on by the petshop,no calcium suppliment or weeds.
so ill be off to buy him wat he needs tommoro.
when i got him out he sneezed,could that be down to stress of travelling?
he is so cute ,ill post pics later :)

#9 Guest_sarahlou_*

Guest_sarahlou_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:02 PM

just looked him up he isnt even a african spur thighed tortoise hes a meditiranian spur thighed tortoise (testudo graeca)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users