- - - - -

med spur thighed testudo graeca

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sarahlou_*

Guest_sarahlou_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:27 PM

as many of you know,i went to collect my much longed for tortoise today .
Ive been reserching since bout januarey this year but only on the hermans, i seen an add for a 9mth old tortie ao i phoned up to find out he was an african apur thighed tortoise.
I discussed this with my other half as they are a much larger breed but we both agreed we could accomidate an african.
I picked him up today & he is lovely and so tiny.
he has turned out to be a 11mth meditiranian spur thighed tortoise living in a viv on a diet of salad so couldnt of gotten much worse for the little guy.
I dont blame the owner though as she was going by what the petshop had instructed her on :o she didnt seem to have a clue bout his breed or diet ect .
ive brought him home even though i dont know a thing about the care of a meditiranian spurthigh. i know i shouldnt of but i couldnt of just left him there.
hes in a viv with slidingdoors with a heat lamp and uv light & heat mat & hes on wood chips.
i know this is the worst thing for him but untill i can get a tortoise table for him in stuck.

any advice on thi species is much apreciated:)

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:47 PM

Hi Sarah lou

If it is a med spur thigh (ibera) the care is exactly the same as it is for the hermanns.

I would take the heat mat out ASAP as this can not only burn the tortoise but I have heard it can also cause a build up of gases to make it explode.

Hopefully wiht all this lovely weatehr you can have the little guy out in the garden all the time so it wont be cooped up in the viv. I have heard the weather is set to stay for the week at least so hopefully you will be able to get a tort table set up asap. You can buy an underbed storage drawer from wilkinsons for between 5-10 depending on the size. Keep him hyrdated as well with regular bathing. Until you change over enclosures you can still feed good food though :D

Can you post us some pics so we can all see. What are you going to name her/him?

#3 Guest_sarahlou_*

Guest_sarahlou_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:11 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-06-07 AT 05:18 PM (GMT)]on his paper work it just said that his species is testudo graeca,nothing after it?? ive removed his heat pad.
its set up as the girl had it but his log/hidey hole is in the warm end,should it be in the cooler end or is it ok?
ive offerd him some washed dandilions which he had a good go at.
im thinking of calling him toby :)
hope this pic wrks :)

http://img472.images...06071540bd7.jpg

http://img472.images...06071541ge4.jpg

a of his/her underside incase anybody has an idea wat sex he/she is ? :)
http://img472.images...06071542gj0.jpg

#4 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:42 PM

Maybe a boy but at 11mth is very difficult to say. Cannot guarantee this until 5yrs +

Brilliant the tort is eating already. Sometimes they won't eat for days after moving homes.

Yes move the log and hidey area to the cool area, not only will this allow the tort to escape but also it stops the risk of the tort tipping itself upside down under the heat light.

You've taken the heat mat out now haven't you? Make sure you do this asap.

If you can have him out in the garden tomorrow. Obvioulsy make sure he is enclosed well and has mesh on the top as there have been quite a few incidents involving birds and torts :(

Your little chap looks lovely and Toby is a brilliant name :D

keep us updated with his housing chnages :D

#5 Guest_sarahlou_*

Guest_sarahlou_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:09 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 03-06-07 AT 07:19 PM (GMT)]hya,
yes the heat pad has been removed :) hes just had a nice luke warm bath and is wizzing around his viv. i never knew they could move so fast lol hes rearly facinating to watch :)
hes been eating again,he seems to have a good apitite.
being so small i would of thought he would be too cold outside?? hes had a run up and down our couch & were rearly pleased with him lol

he sneezed once when i first got him out but seems ok now and dusnt have a runny nose.

I Would of been pleased if he had of been an african spur as i could of accomodated 1 but to find out hes a med will make looking after him easier i think .
25years old and ive finally gotten my first tortie woohoo :D

just moved his hidey/log to the cool end and hes now wandering around his viv looking confused,poor litle fello.

hes got a piece of slate in there but wen ive placed it in the hot end it gets quite warm. should i leave the slate in the warm end or remove it completly?

#6 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:35 PM

Hi,

Yes u can leave the slate under the light. Do you know how warm it is in the viv. I know he wont be in there long but try and get the temps to about 31 at the hot end and about 22 at the cool end (quite difficult in a viv but when u get the table will be easier)

In regards to going outside its fine. On som edays this week my 10mth old has been sleeping outside as wel. He has a fully predator proof wooden box that is about half a foot deep in aubiose (hemp) howeer if the temps drop below 10degrees at night he comes in.

I put him straight out most mornings but if its cloudy or a little colder i warm him under his heat lamp first for an hour or so then pop him outside :)

Its the best place for them as they can get the natural uv :D

#7 Guest_sarahlou_*

Guest_sarahlou_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:53 PM

thanks for all ur advice. i left the slate in but when i touched it about 30mins after it was rearly quite hot so ive removed it.
his light cant be lifted higher eather as ive looked at this being an option.
his viv is only bout 2ft long with sliding doors at the front,with a mesh panel at the top with the heat lamp hanging through. to keep the temp down in the viv ive been leaving the door open by about 1inch in the cool area so i hope this helps.
it just goes to show petshops havent got a clue or rather cant be botherd advising new owners on how to keep there tort.
my tort was kept in a viv and fed on bags of salad and that was it,he had a uv light/heat lamp and heat pad in a 2ft viv as advised by the petshop .upon purchesing him she was told he was an african spur thighed tortoise :o .
im surprized hes ok but his previous owner said he had been doing fine and had grown a fair bit in the mth she had him even in the conditions he was kept.
hes just sooooooo cute and im so pleased with him :)

#8 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:03 PM

Hi Sarah Lou

Unfortunately thats the problem, they grow too big in a viv as well as numerous other problems you prob already know about. How long will you have to keep him in there? You may be able to get away with not having the heat lamp on at all if its just for a few days as the weather is so good, if you dont put him outside then the warmth of the room will still keep it to a good temp. If poss try to grab an underbed storage box 2mo even if its just until you get another tort table set up :)

#9 Guest_sarahlou_*

Guest_sarahlou_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

hes going to be in it till tuesday as im in work tommoro,ide turn the heat lamp off but im rearly worried he mite get to cold. ive got 1 of the sliding doors open a little so im hoping this will help. its gotta be better than living with the doors shut with the heat lamp and heat mat on and a uv light like he has been living for the past month or how ever long his previous owner had him.
because hes a mediteranian species wouldnt he have to be kept in warmer conditions than a hermanns?
sorry for all these questions i didnt think i was getting a med spur its all new to me :)

#10 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:17 PM

Hi Sarah

Hermanns also come from the med so they are kept exactly the same. You're turning the heat lamp and uv off at night tho arent u? Yeah he'll be fine til tuesday :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users