- - - - -

toby 2nd day sneezing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sarahlou_*

Guest_sarahlou_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2007 - 06:57 PM

Its tobys 2nd day with us and hes doing great ,hes been feeding rearly well.
This morning he was a little cold so i warmed him up and he perked up.
Hes still sneezing and i cant see his nostrels?? could they be blocked and thats why i cant see them?
Im taking him the vets tommoro for a full mot just to make sure hes healthy.
I think hes got a cold as he sneezes and has been wiping his face with his front legs like its irritating him :( .
hes active once warmed up and eating well but he does seem cold at times.
I took him in the garden and he perked up & raced around the garden :)
If he has got a cold is it dangerous and is there anything i should be doing for him?
im just a worrier i know lol but i dont want anything to happen to my little guy :)

#2 Guest_Flash Herman_*

Guest_Flash Herman_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:06 AM

It could be RNS (runny nose syndrome) a cold-like infection that can in worst cases turn into pneumonia. It is easily treated with antibiotics (Baytril I think). Your vet should know this if you describe the symptoms. Sometimes there is also a wheezy whistling in the nose, and an open gaping mouth, but not always. You could also check the substrate as some are dusty and irritate the nose. Check other threads for substrate advice if you need to.

If your tort is from Slovenia, then RNS is very common, as are parasites, so also get the vet to check for worms (treat with Panacur), and you will have to take a stool sample with you.

Hope this helps, and you are right to get vet treatment. Let us know how it goes.

EJ

#3 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:27 AM

good advice from EJ.

Unfortunately RNS sounds the likely cause :(

We also know the history of the tort so its extremely likely (though not certain) that he has RNS.

Dehydration and being cold can make RNS worse so i highly recommend bathing him at least once a day for 30 minutes and please do not let the temperature of the water fall (change water every 5mins if necessary). Keep your basking light on a few hours more than usual. My timers are set from 9am to 9pm so in my case i would reset them from 9am to midnight. Some people would recommend 24 hours if he does have RNS but as we cant be sure yet, no "night time" may do him more harm than good. The warmer he is the faster his metabolism and immune system.

Try to handle your tort as little as possible. Although hes probably rather tame by now any stress will make the situation worse.

Can you get him to the vets soon? I would suggest making it a priority. This should be the only time you let your tortoise get cold. Being cold will increase his comfort when travelling as he will sleep most of the way.

#4 Guest_sarahlou_*

Guest_sarahlou_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:34 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-06-07 AT 11:38 AM (GMT)]hi ,
im taking him today if there is a reptile vet at my local vets if not then ill look round till i find 1 :) hes eating bit is still sneezing and soes make a sort of weezing sound.
ive been bathing him everyday since i got him,ill let you know how i get on at the vets :)

also when i went to on and this was 2:30 in the afternoon,the girl had been wrking and forgot to put his lights/heating on so that prob hasnt helped.

i know i prob shouldnt of bought him knowing he had come from those conditions but i couldnt of left him there,im sure with a dose of antibiotics he will be fine :)

pet shops rearly should educate tortoise buyers,if the previous owner had of been advised correctly he would of been fine :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users