- - - - -

Fighting Torts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jackie1_*

Guest_Jackie1_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:51 AM

I asked for advice about my 2 torts - Dylan and Florence - who kept fighting. The big one, Dylan just won't leave little Florence alone. I kept them apart for a while but every time I put them together you could see Dylan run for her and bite her face. Finally I had to accept they wouldn't live together and one of the kids in my nursery (Angel, 10 years old) had taken a real shine to her so she has now taken her to live with them. It cost me a fortune as her mum is single so I had to help her set up the table etc. but at least Florence will be happier now.
I thought I was doing the right thing getting 2 for company for each other, is this not the case and how do other people manage ? Is it a case of having 1 tort OR several? I really would like to have more than 1. How would I go about getting more in the future ?

P.S. Thanks for all those who replied last time, its really great to have this site as I was really worried about how I would cope with my 2 babies.

#2 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:07 AM

Hi Jackie,

How old is Dylan? His behaviour sounds like typical mating behaviour from a male tortoise, although it could just be trying to establish dominance. Many people find this problem with only one male and one female, and the standard advice is that you should have at least two females to one male, so that one female is not being harrassed all the time, and also to have a very large space with lots of little hiding places for them to live in. In the wild, tortoises are solitary creatures, coming together only to mate, so they are usually perfectly happy on their own.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#3 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:13 AM

Hi Jackie!

must have been sad to see him go but well done for making a good decision and for making that little girl so happy! I'd like to get another hatchling myself (only have Sven) but i cant risk having to seperate them once they are sexual mature and knowing my luc ill have either two boys or a male and a female. Like Nina said , at least two females to one male is the best idea if you can accomadate 3

#4 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

or obviously 2 females

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users