- - - - -

new tortoise not eating please help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hollyj_*

Guest_hollyj_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:44 PM

i am new at this but i did a lot of research. i decided to get two hordfields as they are supposed to be hardier. when i got them the male has a few ship on his shell. should i be worried about this. i have built them a very big out door enclosure and then a tortoise table for inside. the lady i got them off said they eat really well and fed them on weeds but i cant seem to get them to eat. the female will eat abit but only if i put it in her face right near her nose but she isnt eating enough. the male refuses to eat any weeds unless i give cucumber first and then put a dandelion in front of him after. what should i do? shou di give vedges first and then try and wean them off it or just see if they eat when they are really hungry. what am i doing wrong? i got nutrobol but cannot give them any of that as they wont eat. they are about 5 inches.
thanks

#2 Guest_funkyzebra_*

Guest_funkyzebra_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:36 PM

Its just settling in time, dont worry too much. Once they have settled in they will eat properly again.
make sure you give them a daily 20min soak in warm water to keep them well hydrated and a little cucumber wont hurt but you can rub the cucumber juice on the weeds if you want to break the habit.
Sarah

#3 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:21 AM

cucumber juice is a good idea. Especialaly if they are fond of it.

I wouldnt give them any vegetables or fruit no matter how much they refuse to eat. This will just make the situation worse as they will no doubt prefer this naughty food to weeds and will be even less likely to eat some proper food.

A lot of people use the tough love method. If they refuse to eat weeds then dont give them anything at all. A healthy tort certainly wont starve itself and though it feels bad to watch they can go a remarkably long time without eating so wont be "starving at all".

Most rescued torts will always go through this process as they become addicted to a bad diet (e.g fruit) and wont touch anything else. It's almost always successful

#4 Guest_oakycoky_*

Guest_oakycoky_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:40 AM

hi how long does it take tortoise to settle in a new place had mine about a week thanx oaky

#5 Guest_hollyj_*

Guest_hollyj_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2007 - 04:29 PM

thanks would you worry about the chips in the shell. he is very active and a bit rough at times so wondering if he has done them at this last home?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users