- - - - -

questions for new owner

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_hollyj_*

Guest_hollyj_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

a few questions i could do with being answered.
1. my male horsfield has got chips in his shell. woulld you be worring about this? I am bathing them every day.
2. i have also read that horsfields should be dark in colour but my female has a lot of yellow on herr both on her shell and on her skin.
3. should i use limestone flour aswel and nutrobol?
4.as i have only just got them should i avoid hibernating them this year and wait until next year. they arent eating very well apparently they have to settle in first.
5. when my torts are outside all day when its a nice day they dont need to have the uvb lamp on them do they. or do they need to have some uvb every day. some days it has been warm but abit cloudy and i dont know wheather to bring them in and put them under the lamp.
want the best for them

#2 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:20 PM

Hi Holly,

I'll try and answer some of your questions:

1. my male horsfield has got chips in his shell. woulld you be worring about this? I am bathing them every day.
Do you mean that some parts of his shell have come off? It would help to see a picture, as it could be something to be concerned about (but it might not be).

2. i have also read that horsfields should be dark in colour but my female has a lot of yellow on herr both on her shell and on her skin.
Horsfields are usually a mixture of brown and yellow, and the new growth is usually yellow, so I wouldn't worry. Post a picture of him.

3. should i use limestone flour aswel and nutrobol?
Yes. Just a pinch of nutrobal, but use the limestone flour liberally, and you can also keep a piece of cuttlefish bone in his enclosure and he will nibble on that for calcium when he wants to.

4.as i have only just got them should i avoid hibernating them this year and wait until next year. they arent eating very well apparently they have to settle in first.
It's difficult to say. If he settles in and eats well, then you should definitely hibernate him, but if there is any question as to whether he is healthy then you could keep him awake. Horsfields in the wild hibernate in the winter and aestivate in the summer on and off, and they are only awake for about three months of the year, so hibernatio is essential for them if they are not to gain too much weight. You should be aiming for growth of no more than an average 1g - 3g per month.

5. when my torts are outside all day when its a nice day they dont need to have the uvb lamp on them do they. or do they need to have some uvb every day. some days it has been warm but abit cloudy and i dont know wheather to bring them in and put them under the lamp.
The sun is the best source of UVB and the UVB goes through the clouds, so even on a cloudy day your tort will be getting UVB outside.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users