- - - - -

help lighting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kerry5101_*

Guest_kerry5101_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:39 PM

hi could anyone please answer my questions?
just bought leopard tortoise, do i leave ultra violet light and basking light on 24 hours a day? as the weather is so warm at moment i have just put on the ultraviolet light on as temp is 85 is this ok?

#2 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:52 PM

Hi Kerry,

both your UV and basking light need to be on 12 hours a day, no more and preferably no less. Its important your tortoise has an established "night time" so they must be switched off. Mine are set on timers to go on at 9am and off at 9pm.

You say you only have the UV on as the temp is already 85? is this the temperature inside the enclosure without the basking light on? And i assume you mean an inside enclosure? This is pretty warm considering you dont have your basking light on! Are you using a digital thermometer?

#3 Guest_kerry5101_*

Guest_kerry5101_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:10 PM

thanks so much.
yes its 85 inside enclosure without basking light. i don't have digital thermometer i will get one though.i have turned ultraviolet light off now thanks again

#4 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 12:27 AM

This is very hot for an enclosure with no basking light! Your cool end should read 70F and this is unlikely with such a warm enclosure.
Are you using a vivarium?

Yes make sure you get a digital thermometer for both the cool and the warm end

#5 Guest_kerry5101_*

Guest_kerry5101_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:28 PM

Just bought digital thermometer.
Everything seems to be fine now. i had kept ultraviolet light on all previous night and weather was so hot that is why it was so hot without basking light,after recieving your reply i turned the lights out and will make sure i do every evening. Im so glad i had this forum to turn to thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users