- - - - -

Outside

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jackie1_*

Guest_Jackie1_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:28 AM

Hi. I have been putting Dylan in his outside pen most days - except through all this rain - and he doesn't seem to like it. He eats a bit and then shoots into the darkest corner and stays there most of the day. I run a small nursery from home and have 6 or 7 kids all want to see him but he won't come out to play ! Why ? He even stays in when there are no kids ! He eats well and has his nutrabal regularly. Is he maybe a lazy tort !

#2 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:11 AM

How old is Dylan? He might just be getting used to a new environment - sometimes it takes a little time.

Nina
http://pets.groups.y...rotectionGroup/
http://pets.groups.y...roup/Turtlesco/

#3 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:43 PM

i had some little kids look at my domino when i first got him and they shook him, dont let the little kids do anything stupid with him

#4 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:46 PM

he is no doubt, petrified of the children for a start. And quite rightly so. As andrew said, children can be extremely rough with tortoises. If you wanted a pet to "play" with u should have got a dog

#5 Guest_Jackie1_*

Guest_Jackie1_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:20 PM

The kids are well trained and DO NOT touch him. They are only out part of the day and he does it even at weekends. He was much more active when he was chasing the other tortoise round the run. ( I had to let that one go as they were constantly fighting).
I did not get him for the children to play with, I have wanted a tortoise for about 40 years and have only just been able to afford the set up. Surely lots of tortoises are brought up in families. He lives upstairs in my private lounge when not outside - with my 17 year old son.
I will try to take him for a check up, anyone know of a good vet in East Yorkshire - Hornsea area.

#6 Guest_sarahlou_*

Guest_sarahlou_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:59 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 20-06-07 AT 10:00 AM (GMT)]If i was you ide take him the vets and get him checked over,to make sure it isnt medical.
It may be that 1 of the kids have given him a fright.
not all kids are rough with animals,but the fact theres so many noisey kids is probably unsetteling the little guy. as long as they cant handle him withought ur supervision,im sure if it is just the noise thats unsettling him he will eventually get used to it given time :)

#7 Guest_hobbernob_*

Guest_hobbernob_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2007 - 04:52 PM

We have 8 toroises and 2 children (3&4) and they all get on fine, the torts arnt bothered by the girls at all, they like to help me pick them up and weigh them, feed them, bath them etc.
Our torts have also been into the preschool and school to do a small talk on them as not that many children get the chance to see tortoises close up!
I think it is very educational for children to be able to see and learn about them.
If the children havent been able to pick them up or bother them I wouldnt have thought it was them bothering him!

#8 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:23 PM

good point lisa, but what happens if one of them does something stupid?

#9 Guest_Jackie1_*

Guest_Jackie1_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

I understand your point but most responsible owners take great care when the kids are with the animals. Dylan seems to enjoy the children being around and plays up to them. I ALWAYS insist that the children sit down with him and NEVER leave them alone. My original problem was that he always shot into the corner when outside but I have realised that if I keep moving him into the sun he gets warm then he stays out, but I need to remind him to warm up (mind you, he is a MALE). Altogether he seems a lazy tortoise and seems to sleep for hours but when someone plays with him he is OK.

#10 Guest_sarahlee110_*

Guest_sarahlee110_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:39 PM

Hi Jackie!

I don't know if you've had much luck yet finding a vet to go to but when you into this website, i think its the second page there is a link to a list of vets and it's just a case of finding one close to you. I take my tortoise Sheldon to one in Bradford in West Yorkshire but i think thats fairly far from you.

As for Dylan being a little shy/lazy, whichever you want to call it, perhaps he is just coming round to his new environment. When i first put Sheldon out its took him a little while to get used to being outside. I've since made a pen for him and he'd much rather be out than in now. I would suggest maybe if you haven't already, maybe put sum pieces of wood in (like a little tunnel to hide under) and maybe some stones and things for him to climb over because he may not feel as exposed, plus it creates points of interest for him.

As for the children, i think yes, you do have to be careful, but also i think it benefits them greatly to be introduced to animals at an early age, particularly tortoises which you don't see every day. I can understand where people are coming from with they're comments but if you run a play group you must be pretty clued up on how to handle children.
When i went away on holiday 2 weeks ago, i left my sister who is 10 with the job of putting fresh food and water in for Sheldon and switching his light on in a morning, off at night etc and she did a brilliant job, obviously with some help from my parents but shes great with him and i know she'd never hurt him.

Hope this has been of some help!
Sarah xx

#11 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:47 PM

Torts are very easily stressed and upset they can pick up vibrations as well as noise/sight/smell etc mine are all handled and are not afraid, a tort being picked up can bring about the same defensive actions as if a predater had grabbed it because that is how it feels,so its done quietly and gently, children don,t always have the same respect or attitude to animals that adults do the first thing my 8 yr old granddaughter did was try to move him around a bit like a car and I,m sorry but I wouldn,t have left her alone, torts can be very strong and easily push their way from a childs hand or gripped to tight, taking them into schools etc I think is a bad idea, because A the torts can carry disease Salmonella, B the tort can catch something from the place it is visiting or persons handling it, but most of all the stress of first having to be transported by car ( noise and vibrations) and the noise etc of being in a new place, stared at and touched by lots of people, I,m sorry but they aren,t show things, or novelties by all means take a dog into schools but not a tortoise and if you must show them of then do it in their own area very quietly, one at a time and under close supervision but better not at all.

#12 Guest_tortgal_*

Guest_tortgal_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:49 AM

an excellent post by squirrelann.

When children are given responsibility they will often perform better than most adults; children are very attentive and very enthusiastic when it comes to being given a little adult responsibility.

When i went on holiday a few weeks ago, Sven was entirely in the hands of my 14 year old sister. A 14year old that i would trust a lot more to care for my little one than my parents! However a group of children is an absolute no-no, even the noise let alone the handling would be enough to scare the most tamest of torts! It doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand that continued stress over time will lead to all sorts of nasty health complications and this can happen a lot quicker than most people would think.:(

With regards to taking torts to school..i dont think its entirely a bad idea. The more people who are educated about importation and pet shops the better in my opinion. And i think the severity of tortoises being imported will have a lot more impact on those we are trying to teach if they are given the oppurtunity to see for themselves how beautiful these creatures are. As long as the torts are kept cool and sleepy when being transported i think its a brilliant idea.

However, they are definitely not toys to haul around day after day!

#13 Guest_squirrelann_*

Guest_squirrelann_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:23 AM

There was an posting on another forum where the tort was left in the care of the teenage son only for a while and he forgot to put the tort in and let the dogs out I need say no more, it wasn,t done on purpose just had other things on his mind, the tort did survive but was badly injured, my grandaughter is a very gentle little girl and meant no harm but in her eyes I suppose the tort wasn,t doing much so she moved him around herself like she would a toy, my eldest grandchild is 14 and probably would take good care of them untill she,s distracted by a phone call,computer, freinds I remember what it was like to be that age and know what I was like and personally don,t think chidren should have the responsibility of animals without an adults supervision and backup, in the orriginal post I think we are talking about young children under school age, the majority at that age treat animals as toys etc exspecially those that don,t grow up with pets in the house, I would never leave my dogs alone with the grandchildren when they were younger as they didn,t know when the dogs had had enough and I feared the dogs might retaliate and nip, I,m also assuming that the school visit is again to young children most put their fingers in their mouths without thinking Torts do carry diseases salmonella being only one can you imagine being responsible for a child becomming ill or even dying due to handling your tortoise, there was a child only recently who died handling a tortoise, it was in america, so there is a proven risk which to me isn,t worth taking with other peoples children.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users