Sulcata

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_zenbird_*

Guest_zenbird_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

Hi,

I have recently adopted 2 Sulcata Torts.

They have a tortoise table with a heat lamp at one end and a heat mat in the covered part.

I have read up about these torts and don't think that the heat mat is a good thing.

Can someone please confirm this or tell me the best way to provide night time heating for them.

I know that these torts grow to be giants and I plan to build an outdoor enclosure for them with heated accomodation. (It'll probably be warmer in there than in the house, they may have a lodger!!)

Also, there is no UVB lighting, so I will have to get a proper system sorted. If I have to start from scratch then I will do.

Although I was hoping that they'd be able to spend most of their days outside for the moment, this is clearly not going to happen.

If anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful, as will Monica & Chandler.

#2 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

HI Lisa

My advise to you is to contact a friend of mine as she has 2 rescued sulcatas and is now helping to write the sulcata caresheet for the TPG. If you click on the link below my name, go to contact details and then email or phone dawn she will be more than happy to help you with any worries about sulcatas :D

#3 Guest_maz_*

Guest_maz_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:29 PM

Hi
I dont have Sulcatas, I have two Leopards which I understand are kept in similar conditions to the sulcata,I was a new owner when I found this forum and the help I recieved was overwhelming from experienced keepers as well as newbies like I was.:-) The heat mat is a bad idea as the heat should come from above and not below. I tend to try and keep the overall temperature in the room at 22 to 23 at night when the heat and light is off. You really do need to provide uv light as well as the heat,and I am sure you will,but it cant all be done overnight things take time to get right:o. As to the lousy weather we are having it is just not possible to get them out for the natural sunlight they need this year, mine have been out about three times in total, with all the rain and then the sun it has just been too humid.:-( . I really would take Jades advice if I were you and phone her friend, I did the same and she really does know her stuff:D. All the best with your two beautiful torts, they really deserve the best we can give them dont they?
Many regards
Maz xxxx:D

#4 Guest_zenbird_*

Guest_zenbird_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

Thanks Jade & Maz.

I'll get in touch after the weekend.

They seem happy enough at the moment but as you said they do deserve the best and I'll do everything I can to make sure they get it.

Thanks again,

#5 Guest_andrew b 1_*

Guest_andrew b 1_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

dont use the heat mat either

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users